Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading alot about the SMOD/radiator and Transmission problems. Mainly b/c I am a victim. Recently I have been experiencing the rumble strip symptom and did a little a research on these forums.

2005 Xterra, ~137k miles. X is currently at local Tranny shop. However he said I should contact Nissan and try to get them to honor the defect component, even though it is maxxed @ 100k miles. Has anyone had luck with that?

There was definitely Xmsn fluid in the radiator, but Xmsn fluid in Xmsn was clean. Smelled burnt, but clean. Hoping new radiator with bypass and Tranny flush will fix my problem, but doesn't seem like too many of X members have had luck with that.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
At 137K miles, you will not be able to get it fixed under warranty. The warranty extension for SMOD is pro-rated until 100K, after which the owner must pay the full amount. Try the fresh transmission fluid with the bypass and a new radiator. Sounds as if you were overdue for a transmission fluid change anyway, so you might get lucky and still have a good transmission.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
No need to do the bypass after putting in a new radiator and it will be better in the long run for the transmission to not be bypassed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Agreed. Do not bypass the new radiator. The new one should not have the issue where the fluids can counter-contaminate. If it concerns you still then by all means bypass but put in a secondary transmission cooler. Otherwise, you risk overheating the transmission. Heat is the killer of auto trannies.

·
on line
212 Posts
I'm a victim too, and when they flushed the tranny, it was pink at first and then a nice red... been driving it for about 50 miles for now and it seems all the problems are gone...I hope nothing will come up!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
No need to do the bypass after putting in a new radiator and it will be better in the long run for the transmission to not be bypassed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Agreed. Do not bypass the new radiator. The new one should not have the issue where the fluids can counter-contaminate. If it concerns you still then by all means bypass but put in a secondary transmission cooler. Otherwise, you risk overheating the transmission. Heat is the killer of auto trannies.
I guess your right.

I assume if you get a new rad from Nissan it will be good to go (smod issue fixed) but what about aftermarket ones, i.e. Autozone, O'Reilly, Napa? Are they no longer a possible smod rad as well? I would hope so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts