Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my 07 Xterra into the dealership for a checkup and I want them to look into this issue. My Xterra has 71,000 miles on it. If they find something wrong, is this covered under the extended warranty? Do I need to file any claims or will the dealership just do the fix at no charge? Same question applies for the fuel sending unit issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,147 Posts
the FSU is a recall item on certain model years IIRC which means it should be covered no matter the mileage. Again this depends on your VIN number which they will use to look up whether or not your vehicle is in need of the recall (or any others for that matter).

In regard to the rad/trans, Nissan issued an extended warranty which (loosely) covered the labor and parts involved with the transmission issues to 80k. You should have gotten a notice in the mail regarding the warranty extension. I believe both items will be covered, however if there is no damage to your rad or any signs of the SMOD I doubt they will do any preventative work on the system. I could be wrong. it's been a while since I've been to the dealership about anything on my X. (I actually cant remember when I went there last).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ It is on some VINs. It was on mine. I had mine replaced in 2009 and my rig WAS a 2007S.

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Fuel-Sending-Unit/faqs.php?menu=4

EDIT: while it is a recall program...they are only extending it to 72K...

Get that sucker in quickly op! :)
Going in tomorrow. Getting a grinding from the front of the vehicle. Sometimes soft, sometimes loud. Doesn't seem to associated with turning or particular gears. It's not great.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So the radiator and transmission show now signs of fluid intrusion. The SES light is caused by the known fuel sending unit problem, but the extended warranty ended 20 days ago :violent1: Whatever, I can deal with an SES light. The grinding was the heat shield on the exhaust. Front brakes and rotors need replacing. Grand total:

$390

Could have been a LOT worse.

What's the easiest way to clear the SES, even temporarily? I need it gone for my sticker.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What's the easiest way to clear the SES, even temporarily? I need it gone for my sticker.
disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and make sure you only have a half tank of gas .. not too low not too full. The code will clear for a day or two but here's the thing. you wont be able to pass the test with it reset so recently. if day 3 comes around and the light is still gone then get it inspected right away. it could come back at any time.

not sure if you'll have to reset the "slip " or not. but if you have to there is only one way to do it and it's easy but also easy to F up.

. put the truck into a position so you can start the motor with the steering wheel straight and drive it forward to 10-15mph without moving the steering wheel at all .

from that starting position with the truck OFF

- make sure the steering wheel is straight
- start the truck
-when there is no chance of anything in your way that would make you have to turn, accelerate until the light turns off. (about 15mph)

if it doesn't work the first time then try it again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
SMOD and Nissan stealership.....Well, we went to Nissan today as we needed to purchase radiator coolant from them... So as we are decided to put an aftermarket radiator into our X to prevent SMOD, my husband was just curious and asked one of their technicians there if and how Nissan fixed this issue, if/how they redesigned their radiators?...The technician has never heard of such issue! Surprise, surprise. Now, I'm just not sure if he played dumb or was serious he had no clue about this. Don't know what is worse...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
SMOD and Nissan stealership.....Well, we went to Nissan today as we needed to purchase radiator coolant from them... So as we are decided to put an aftermarket radiator into our X to prevent SMOD, my husband was just curious and asked one of their technicians there if and how Nissan fixed this issue, if/how they redesigned their radiators?...The technician has never heard of such issue! Surprise, surprise. Now, I'm just not sure if he played dumb or was serious he had no clue about this. Don't know what is worse...
The dealership by me (long island) was well aware of the problem and said that the only Xterras that ever came in with bad trannys were cause by the "milk shake of death".

I've already done the bypass but i'm a little concerned with cold tranny fluid on some of the stupid cold nights we get over here.
Has any one tried one of those pipe heaters directly on the fluid return line? I was thinking i could set it on a digital timer with a stat so that it would kick on for about 5 min after start up but only when the temp was below a certain point, say 25F or something around there.

Anyone see a problem with a set up like that?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
^^^Yes, the fact that you DO NOT NEED a heater on your tranny line. Just do the bypass and don't think about it anymore. This has been repeatedly and quite factually debunked in other threads, but the radiator intercooler does not, at any point, impart heat to the transmission fluid. The ONLY heat source for the transmission fluid is friction (both clutch element and fluid friction in the torque converter.) Bypassing your radiator cooler will have no effect on warming of the transmission during the beginning of a driving cycle with a cold engine.

I repeat, don't worry about the transmission fluid being "too cold" in the winter. It will warm up as you begin driving. Just take it easy until the motor is warmed up, the same as any engine/drivetrain when it is cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts