Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Xterra. Owner claims the radiator was changed somewhere around 2012. he cannot provide any proof of this and I don't trust him. There is no sticker on the radiator with any part number. Is there any way to tell that the radiator has been changed? Any part number stamped any place? I would hate to buy another radiator and take everything apart if it was already changed. Truck has 112,000 on it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said no sticker. Just thought there might be another part number or other way to id the radiator. Because I don't want to waste the time or money if it was done already. If I cant confirm it was done then I will absolutely install a new one. Just trying to avoid doing it twice on the same truck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Aftermarket radiators are common at some dealers. Part costs half price. They give you the option.

So it may be an aftermarket one. If it’s not broken, why fix it? If you have issues then fix it.
If you put 2 cars side by side, you can see the difference in the mounts, aftermarket may not fit as well.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
So here is all I can tell you. I have a 2008 X with a aftermarket rad I installed myself many years ago. I also have a 2011 Frontier with the OEM rad (same rad as the X, 2011 part number, non smod year - so I never changed). If that sticker wasn't there I couldn't tell the two apart in the truck I don't think. That sticker doesn't look like its attached all that well. Its not a permanent sticker, its more like an in-factory part ID sticker. My Aftermarket rad looks like a complete knock off - tanks and everything.

So its your rig and you need to decide. All I can say is I personally would rather throw away a good rad, than throw away what used to be a good transmission. I might be OCD, but I have experienced the number of people that sign up to this site crying about SMOD Hundreds of times over the years.

I suppose you could remove it, and see if you could find anything else that might identify it. Of course, if you have it out, you might as well change it anyway.

Good luck whatever you decide - welcome to the site!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Im doing the bypass until I can verify (if I can verify) that it has been swapped. Most likely going to get a new radiator. Any advice on which to get?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think most guys here prefer the Koyo Rad.

My retailer of choice didn't carry Koyo, so I used a Spectra Premium. Showed up saying Made in China which didn't make me happy, but 270,000 miles later it still works

If you have a favorite brand, as long as its not Calsonic, your probably good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gave it to my shop to do a once over. I told him about the rad issue and asked them to see if they could determine if it was changed. They said they think it was changed. He said it just looked to good compared to the other components and the clamps were changed on the trans lines. Everything else he said looked good. My son took it to school this am and the service light came on and low tire pressure. I had him bring it back home. I still think im going to do the bypass and get another radiator. Im not 100% confident that it was changed and if so how would I know if they didn't put in another Calsonic radiator.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Even if they did put in another Nissan oem (Calsonic) Radiator, by 2012 they had fixed this issue.
A service light will have a code associated to it. Get yourself an OBDII code reader. Basic ones can be had cheaply, or fancy ones for more, but it is a worthwhile thing to have to be able to read what the cause of the SES light.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Even if they did put in another Nissan oem (Calsonic) Radiator, by 2012 they had fixed this issue.
A service light will have a code associated to it. Get yourself an OBDII code reader. Basic ones can be had cheaply, or fancy ones for more, but it is a worthwhile thing to have to be able to read what the cause of the SES light.
What he said.

If your not towing, many people have driven a long time with it bypassed without issue.

If you trust your mechanic - if it looks newer it might be. Tough call.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a friend check the code today. Catalytic converter issue. he cleared the code. I just had it inspected 2 days ago so all is good there. Still going to do the bypass as soon as I get time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a 2005 Xterra. Owner claims the radiator was changed somewhere around 2012. he cannot provide any proof of this and I don't trust him. There is no sticker on the radiator with any part number. Is there any way to tell that the radiator has been changed? Any part number stamped any place? I would hate to buy another radiator and take everything apart if it was already changed. Truck has 112,000 on it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I have an '08 with 168k. Have replaced 2 radiators. First (original) radiator caused my tranny to go bad. $5000.00 to replace. Have your tranny fluid replaced at once and check for contamination.

·
TNX Veteran
4,014 Posts
@rhcedar You've been a member since 2014 and this is your first post. Which means, you've been around long enough to to know your posted info is incorrect.

Its referred to as the Strawberry Milkshake. or SMOD

All the automatics have the "extra" radiator in front of the main radiator. It's the trans cooler. It wasn't the fix for SMOD, a new radiator was.

Y'all should do some searching on this site, It's all extremely well documented, including all the known radiator part numbers that have failed.

The bypass is easy, it's also supposed to be temporary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Guys
What he said.

If your not towing, many people have driven a long time with it bypassed without issue.

If you trust your mechanic - if it looks newer it might be. Tough call.
Ok. I got under the truck today and I don't see anything to make me think the radiator was changed. Found a sticker with A111151600 on it. Can't seem to find what that means if it is a aftermarket part number or not. Don't have the cash or time to replace the radiator right now. Anyone have this sticker on there Xterra or know if this is a replacement. Pictures to follow

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts