Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the SMOD issue was fixed in 2009? Is this right? If so what was it that Nissan did to resolve the problem? Was it simply swapping to Matic S fluid? Or was a part swap?

I searched but could not find a definitive answer.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have a 2010 and I still am under the extended warranty through Nissan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...cheers to you.

Anybody know what or if they changed anything?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
FWIW - According to the Nissan tech who replaced my SMOD'd radiator they changed the design to mitigate the corrosion of the wall between the ATF and coolant. I mentioned Matic S vs J and they didn't seem to know about that. I also mentioned that some on the forums said there is a valve that corrodes and causes SMOD. He didn't know about that and neither of us understood the logic of a valve between two chambers that should never mix.
My new radiator is definitely different than the original but it is not stainless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the end result I am searching for is, is my 2008 good to go? How would I know if it has a new style radiator? I am in Arkansas so we see many 100+ days in the summers and haul from time to time so bypass is not a great idea

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
So the end result I am searching for is, is my 2008 good to go? How would I know if it has a new style radiator? I am in Arkansas so we see many 100+ days in the summers and haul from time to time so bypass is not a great idea
Its up to you, according to what I've been tracking no 2008's have been confirmed. The 1 on the list was likely not SMOD related.

Here's the list:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62655

The general consensus is that fluid was changed in 2009 and a new radiator part number was also issued around that time. I've been on this board a few years and I have yet to see a definitive answer.

I've seen folks say they love the by-pass and others say it caused them issues. Those that experienced issues appeared to be less heat related and more how they used their truck (heavy towing or off roading, low speeds w/limited air flow, etc.)

The list I posted was my attempt to quantify much of the anecdotal responses on the site. The best I can tell, so far no member with a 2008 has posted with a SMOD issue.

Does this mean no 2008s have or will get SMOD? Who knows, the sample size here is relatively small and 2008s are still relatively new. People know its contamination of fluids that occurs due to an internal breakdown of the radiator. But what causes this failure is uncertain. Is it mileage, or environmental (salted roads), temperatures, etc? Hell there are plenty of late model Xterras w/hundreds of thousands of miles on them and no issues with the stock parts. What makes them so special? Couple that with the fact there's little confirmed evidence on part changes (though there is a general consensus on fluid swap and that a part change did happen at sometime) and I could see your worry about which year.

Nissan did issue an extended warranty on Xterras to cover this failure. Though I am unsure if it is transferable to a 2nd owner. The warranty covers all parts related to SMOD up to 80k for $0. After 80k - 100k deductibles come into play - starting at $1000 (the cost of a new radiator anyway and then some.)

My personal opinion for your situation - if you are covered by this extended SMOD warranty, continue with the sotck parts and monitor for any SMOD issues. If you are not covered, then I would either by-pass w/an extra transmission cooler and some sort of transmission temp gauge. OR preemptively replace the radiator setup.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
^ This is a good post and value-add to this site. I couldn't agree more.
I have an '05, 2nd owner, and I bypassed somewhere around 80k miles. Did not do a secondary cooler or fan. Under load - not towing but up mountain passes 25-55 mph - I would occasionally go into limp mode. After getting a BullyDog tuner I started watching the tranny temp. At 275 F is where the truck goes to fail safe.
Was definitely cooking the tranny. I decided to get a fan and cooler then look into a new rad asap.
Went to dealer for an unrelated issue and figured I would get a quote on replacing the rad to get a good laugh. Quote was $420. Not great but not bad. I was having knee surgery in a few days so I wasn't doing the rad myself anytime soon so I went for it. That is when they found SMOD in the rad and my cooked tranny. Remember, I bypassed.
Covered under the extended warranty - which was actually a class action lawsuit. $3000 deductible and I have a new tranny, rad and everything in between.
My opinion - stay un-bypassed until 79k miles. Then take the X to the dealer for a new radiator. If they find SMOD then (or at any time before) you are covered at no cost to you. At least you have a new rad at that point and can forget about the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok since there reportedly have not been any issues with 2008s, and I have flushed and refilled with matic S fluid, I am just going to hope for the best. Every vehicle model out there has some sort of issue. Look at the FJs with their front ends cracking.

BTW I have 112,000 miles.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can get a new radiator from advanceautoparts.com for $130 with the code HUGE50, cheaper than a new trans. and the deductible, that way you can be sure it won't happen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it a plug and play, or are any of the hook ups different? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
ok...cheers to you.

Anybody know what or if they changed anything?
Lol the reason I said Im on the warranty is because I doubt its been fixed if my year is still recalled.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have heard 10 different stories about when or how SMOD was "fixed" if ever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts