Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to lurk on this forum several years ago before I bought my 2008 OR. Just a few days ago I came back and learned of all the transmission failures which has me alarmed, especially being out of warranty now.

One thing I haven't been able to find is the part numbers of the radiators that are failing. I looked at mine tonight and it is 21460-EA215. It was replaced in early 2010 after an auto accident, so I assume this is still the part number of a faulty radiator.

Is anyone able to verify this? If it is, I'm just going to get it preemptively replaced for piece of mind. I'd rather not worry about getting a trashed transmission.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The radiator part numbers did change at some point, and they are posted here and I am sure you can find with a search. However even though there is a consensus here that the problem was likely fixed by 2009, my limited understanding was that the failure was due to a manufacturing quality problem, and not a design issue. So did that change with the part number - likely, but who knows. I could never figure out when / what part number, etc and finally just opted for aftermarket. So I guess it depends on exactly how sure you wish to be.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You can always do the radiator by-pass, until you figure out if your newer rad is safe.

I used to lurk on this forum several years ago before I bought my 2008 OR. Just a few days ago I came back and learned of all the transmission failures which has me alarmed, especially being out of warranty now.

One thing I haven't been able to find is the part numbers of the radiators that are failing. I looked at mine tonight and it is 21460-EA215. It was replaced in early 2010 after an auto accident, so I assume this is still the part number of a faulty radiator.

Is anyone able to verify this? If it is, I'm just going to get it preemptively replaced for piece of mind. I'd rather not worry about getting a trashed transmission.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can always do the radiator by-pass, until you figure out if your newer rad is safe.
Sorry to hijack but I need some clarification on rad replacement to prevent SMOD. If I buy a new KOYO rad do I need an aftermarket A/T cooler or do you just reuse the original? Or is there a specific rad that you need to get that is designed in the same way as stock?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine was replaced prior to my purchase. I verified that the part number for the radiation assembly was one that replaced the previous one. Here are some part numbers that show the replacement sequencing.

Part No.: 21410-3S200
Replaced by: 21410-9Z010

Part No.: 21460-4S100
Replaced by: 21460-9Z000

Part No.: 21460-3S600
Replaced by: 21460-9Z000

Part No.: 21410-EA205
Replaced by: 21410-ZL31A

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The radiator part numbers did change at some point, and they are posted here and I am sure you can find with a search. However even though there is a consensus here that the problem was likely fixed by 2009, my limited understanding was that the failure was due to a manufacturing quality problem, and not a design issue. So did that change with the part number - likely, but who knows. I could never figure out when / what part number, etc and finally just opted for aftermarket. So I guess it depends on exactly how sure you wish to be.
Just for clarification, what lead you to that conclusion? I was under the impression that Nissan changing transmission fluids was the difference.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Just for clarification, what lead you to that conclusion? I was under the impression that Nissan changing transmission fluids was the difference.
No one really know!

Its an internal failure to the radiator where the fluids end up mixing. What actually causes the failure is ripe with speculation.

The below are reasons I've seen listed on the site:
- Failure due to previous type Nissan transmission fluid causing corrosion and internal failure.
- Poor quality metal / metal treatment in older radiator part
- Poor welds in older radiator part

So far (as we've been keeping track on the hit list thread) no new Xterra's have had this problem. New Xterras have the new style fluid and new radiator part from the factory.

Is it the new radiator design, is it the fluid type, is it both?

No one knows for sure, and not all older Xterras with the older fluid and parts get SMOD. Is it climate related (i.e. salts on road) or use related (lots of towing / off roading?

What's know is that it has been happening to the older models (2005 - 2007) which do happen to have different fluids and parts. So as an insurance measure folks recommend getting a new radiator and switching to the updated fluid. Its a relatively inexpensive insurance policy when compared against the cost of a new transmission (assuming you are out of Nissan's extended warranty coverage) and the risk of occurrence for those model years.

By-passing is another option, though personally I view it as a band-aid, rather than a proper solution. "By-passing" by passes the cooling that the radiator provides for the transmission, effectively reducing the factory cooling capacity of the system. People on here say they are fine with it, others get an AUX transmission cooler (and by-pass) to make up the difference.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So i'm getting ready to get a koyo rad put in for SMOD prevention at about 55k miles. I figure at the same time i might as well have them change rad hoses (and mounts??) and do a full trans flush. How much do you guys figure this would cost assuming $75/hour for labor and if i supply the koyo? I know it won't be cheap but it's certainly cheaper than a new trans. Im just looking for a ballpark amount like $200 or $300?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
So i'm getting ready to get a koyo rad put in for SMOD prevention at about 55k miles. I figure at the same time i might as well have them change rad hoses (and mounts??) and do a full trans flush. How much do you guys figure this would cost assuming $75/hour for labor and if i supply the koyo? I know it won't be cheap but it's certainly cheaper than a new trans. Im just looking for a ballpark amount like $200 or $300?
I did it myself in about 4 hours and that was my first rad change in the X. So I would think a shop would be quicker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, guys!
I took X-terra 2008, GCC-specification (for the Middle East)
I re-read subjects and posts about a radiator and gearbox and it was terrified me!
I checked A/T oil and cooling liquid (on the cold engine)
Both liquids a clear,any someone else's impurity or flakes are not visible (in a reservoir tank and under a radiator cap)
The gearbox (on my feelings) shifts accurately - without pushes and delays (triple knock at wood!!!)
I doubt a bypass , because under our conditions (a heat, traffics in the city and the desert) there is a high probability that AT will overheat(in the summer and in the spring temperature easily can reach 115 or 125 Fahrenheit!)
Besides I have a thought that the problem for some reason concerns only X-Terra's which were released for the American market in 2005-2009.
Why I so think?
Because requirements to the cooling system in the Middle East differ from North American conditions.
The GCC thermostats have another temperature of opening and part-number of "GCC" radiators absolutely others:
21460-EA22C/ RADIATOR ASSY/ 07.07 - 08.08
21460-EA22C/ RADIATOR ASSY/ 08.08 - 02.09
21460-ZL21A/ RADIATOR ASSY/ 02.09 - 08.10
21460-9CA5A/ RADIATOR ASSY/ 08.10 - 11.10
21460-9CA2E/ RADIATOR ASSY/ 11.10 - ...

What do you think about it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
How to locate P/N of current radiator under the hood

Hi Folks,

I'm just wondering how one would find the part number of the current radiator under the hood? 2007 Nissan Xterra X

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
My 2014 has a sticker on top of the radiator

·
Registered
127 Posts
My radiator doesn't have a sticker on the top, would that mean it's aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
My X has a sticker on top of the radiator just to the rt of the cap.
It seems there was another part number possibly on the side, but km not positive.

Please thank Mr Bill for his original SMOD part listing

According to CourtesyParts | Genuine OEM Nissan Parts & Accessories and other Nissan parts dealers, the following is the progression of OEM Calsonic radiators for the Xterra, with the years for each particular part number culled from TheNewX posts in brackets:

21410-EA200 [seldom referenced, but may have been installed in some very early 2005’s.]

21410-EA205 [2005 – either 2/09 or 8/09. Listed on some parts websites as P/N 21460-EA205. There is some confusion as to when these were used. Some literature states until 2/09 and other literature states 8/09. P/N IS ASSOCIATED WITH SMOD. ]

21460-EA215 [2005 - either 2/09 until 8/09, see above. Listed as discontinued and replaced by 21460-9CAOE on Nissan parts websites. P/N IS ASSOCIATED WITH SMOD]

21460-EA265 [production dates unknown other than my own Xterra built in 09/05. P/N IS ASSOCIATED WITH SMOD.]

21460-ZL11A [8/09 through 2010 model year, isolated reports of SMOD, however I have not been able to verify.]

21460-ZL31A [production dates unknown. Listed as discontinued on Nissan parts websites , no known reports of SMOD.]

21460-9CAOE [2011 – 2015 model years – no known reports of SMOD] This is the part number for the most current version as of 11/16.

Reactions: bluez

·
Registered
36 Posts
My X has a sticker on top of the radiator just to the rt of the cap.
It seems there was another part number possibly on the side, but km not positive.

Please thank Mr Bill for his original SMOD part listing
21460-EA22C( 2007-2008 models, GCC market) - have been leaked on 150K miles, after 10 years of usage!

·
Registered
733 Posts
21460-EA22C( 2007-2008 models, GCC market) - have been leaked on 150K miles, after 10 years of usage!
Asiat,

I am sorry no one ever responded to your original question on this issue.
So did this happen to you? I am not clear on that from your previous post.

If not, best practices is always to replace with a new radiator when in doubt. It does not have to be nissan sourced..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts