Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on the forum for the last couple months after picking up a 06 xterra. When I purchased the car I check for SMOD and I didn't see any mix in the radiator or any abnormal driving conditions.

Today when I checked the coolant I noticed a little brownish patch on the top. I decided to drain the coolant and I'm fairly sure it has the early makings of SMOD.

I've read a bunch of posts on SMOD and I wanted to confirm that my best route would be to replace the radiator and flush the tranny?

The car has 83,000 miles and I've put 1500 on it, so the issue must have started within the last 1000 miles. I still have no symptoms of SMOD while driving.

Thanks, all input is appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Buy an aftermarket radiator by Koyo ASAP, do it like yesterday, this is no joke, my friend...this is serious.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not sure if it's SMOD, but if so, it will be not about prevention anymore, but fixing. And that depends what and how much was already damaged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy an aftermarket radiator by Koyo ASAP, do it like yesterday, this is no joke, my friend...this is serious.
Just bought, should arrive in the next 2 days. Not going to drive the x until I get it replaced.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If that is SMOD, you caught it early enough that you should be fine. I would go ahead and flush the transmission at the same time you replace the radiator. Make sure you use the nissan trans fluid though.

One of our forum members sells it here: http://nissanonlineparts.com/storename/cherryhillnissan/dept/264590/ItemDetail-10352735.aspx

It was the best price I could find when I did mine
So it's pretty much agreed upon to only use nissan specific tranny fluid?

That's cheap too. The lowest I could find was like $12 per quart and my local dealership wants $20

·
Registered
264 Posts
so you looked right in your reservoir, and you saw the red rim and oil on top? So you bled the coolant?
Honestly I've been postponing my bypass just because it's so HOT where I live. But I think I'm doing this NOW cause I am scared. lol I check in my reservoir weekly for any signs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went on Ebay and found 12 quarts for $110 shipped from Nissan of Chesapeake.

Make sure you do the bypass found http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30213 . Rook did a really great job with this, and it only takes 10min (I had to cut one hose and trim it, but there was plenty of extra length). If you bypass the radiator your transmission will no longer send fluid through the radiator. I would do this even with the new radiator just to be safe, as you wont have to worry about SMOD anymore.

If you live in a really warm area follow Logisenses' How To, http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955 . He added a second radiator cooler after the bypass. I will be doing that this summer myself (bypass done this past weekend).

·
Registered
378 Posts
No need for a bypass if replacing radiator with an aftermarket one. That setting has a reason and there are some reasons some of us did decide for an aftermarket radiator rather than bypass...Doing both "just to be sure" is more paranoia than logic IMO...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts