Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..its a few times since I ve changed that piece under the glove box..whats it called...that thing that controls the fan speeds etc..transistor..anyhow..siince i changed it due to my AC not working...I ve lost power to the fan twice.no heat no air..no nothing..it would eventually come on..
So yesterday this guy cuts me off ya i smacked my steering wheel while saluting him with one finger...heck..doesnt my fan turn on...so I said what a coincedence..
Well today on my drive to work..again no fan..well guess what..you got it...smack the steering wheel and man, the fann turned on....whats up with that...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
22,508 Posts
That can be a problem with the blower motor. Sometimes they go bad on a couple poles and if the rotor is aligned in bad spot with the stator it won't be able to start to spin when energized. A sharp jostle will cause the rotor to spin just enough to get past the dead poles and start spinning. Same thing happens to starter motors sometimes, and a good smack while it's energized will allow it to spin. Next time it won't blow, reach under the dash and tap the blower motor with a hammer. If it starts to blow, it's time for a new blower motor.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
That is what is killing your blower resistors. The blower is wearing out and pulling excessive amperage burning out the resistors. Time for a new blower.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it..any info on cost of this unit..is it a simple job or local garage mechanic thing...
Not exactly the temperature to start playing mechanic out there myself...thanks again for the help fellas..

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
very easy fix. three screws and a harness underneath the glove box. Probably a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it preferable to go with dealer part or jobber..dealer price is $270.00 ..my price is $208.00 plus tax..so about $225.00...the reason im asking is cause i saw them for $80.00 on line...

·
Registered
550 Posts
get er from your auto parts store is my call. mine was for 75 bucks, which won't bother me if it dies out from ingesting water and mud next time.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes..very true
Makes sense...btw..just a smack update...the fan doesnt run on start up...but will always start working after i smack the glove box dash area...so as stated above..definitely a blower issue..thanks for the tips boys

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Who here hasn't smacked an electronic device into behaving? C'mon. Electrons need to know who's boss. TV's, TV remotes, Dashboards, Monitors, Lights...

Electrons either get with it and do what they're supposed to do after you smack them, or they all run away at once, usually indicated by a bright flash of light and the smell of ozone. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts