Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intro Comments: I bought this truck this September (2019). It has been a rough transition to N50 Xterra ownership coming from a wonderful WD22 that I miss often. I am hoping gain confidence in this truck and take it on a trip to Los Cabos from northern California in the next few months.

How it looks today:

Purchase: September 16 - 212,580 miles - $4500

The new X has had several issues in the short time since I brought it home. It had a bad coil in cylinder 5 when I got it. It must have been bad for a while, because the catalytic converter(s) were totally toasted. I mean literally NO honeycomb left in the upstream cat. I had the coil and both upstream cats replaced, only to encounter a very sticky P0448 code for the Evap system. When I got to replacing those parts it was clear that the previous owner had already replaced the canister and solenoids, but after replacing the under-hood valve the code stayed off long enough to pass smog (P0448 is back and I think I'll just live with it).

Just after passing smog it became evident that the engine was burning an absurd amount of oil. The shop used a boroscope and discovered that cylinders 3 & 5 were scratched all to hell and the engine was a write off. Their hypothesis is that some of the destroyed catalytic converter managed to get back into the engine. Silver lining - a coworker of mine had a 2006 Xterra with some recent engine work get smashed by a tree in the winter of 2017. It sat in the woods for two years with a family of rats living in it. We pulled it out of the forest, and just yesterday the engine swap from his '06 was completed. I was able to drive it home today. It idles at ~1500 RPM, so I think there is a vacuum leak somewhere.

I haven't had a chance to do much else with the major mechanical hurdles, but what I have changed from stock is listed below.

Username: smacame

Make: Nissan
Year: 2007
Model: Xterra
Trim: Off-Road
Color: Night Armor

Transmission: 6 speed manual

MODS:
Tailgate lifters replaced with 175lb McMaster Special (thanks for the write up Rexterra!)
Interior lights replaced with warm white LEDs
Reversing lights replaced with super-bright Auxito LEDs
Fog lights replaced with Baja Designs Squadron-R Pros
Headlights replaced with OPT7 5000k to match color of other lights
350W high CRI MTN Lite Bar (incomplete install)
Proclip phone holder
Molle panel in driver's side rear window

Glamour shot of my 2000 Xterra which I sold prematurely after buying this one:

·
TNX Veteran
3,618 Posts
Ha that crushed white X almost looks like a "cabriolet" or maybe a shorty-pickup version of the Xterra. I almost like it.
I'm sure once you get that thing running smoothly again you will feel better about the 2nd then than you did the first gen. IMO it is an improvement in nearly every way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the encouragement @AlbatrossCafe, I am looking forward to a smooth running truck when I get there. It's slipping out of gear in 5th while engine braking today, so that has me scratching my head.

@IntellectualRedneck I really wanted to shine as little light as possible onto the hood, so I tried to set it as low and far back as possible. I also have a strong aversion to drilling holes in roofs, so bonded wide 8020 brackets up there, and I'll be running the cable along the groove next to the A-pillar at the edge of the window. It's not perfect, but here are a few photos of the light bar installation (let me know if there are too many photos here, the how-to sticky suggests using them sparingly):

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement @AlbatrossCafe, I am looking forward to a smooth running truck when I get there. It's slipping out of gear in 5th while engine braking today, so that has me scratching my head.

@IntellectualRedneck I really wanted to shine as little light as possible onto the hood, so I tried to set it as low and far back as possible. I also have a strong aversion to drilling holes in roofs, so bonded wide 8020 brackets up there, and I'll be running the cable along the groove next to the A-pillar at the edge of the window. It's not perfect, but here are a few photos of the light bar installation (let me know if there are too many photos here, the how-to sticky suggests using them sparingly):
View attachment 123988

View attachment 123991

View attachment 123989

View attachment 123990
Very cool, any wind noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up vanity plates today.

Doing the throttle body relearn procedure a couple of times fixed the high idle issue.

I had the transmission fluid replaced this morning but it's still slipping out of 5th when coasting :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This weekend I painted the grille and put the tent on the roof. I think I'll be swapping in the transmission from the white X sometime in the not-too-distant future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts