Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know too much about lifts but I was hoping to get some advise between SLR and Calmini. I have had the SLR lift on order and it will be shipping soon ... at least they say it will. I have an OR 06 X but I don't have any experience with SLR. However I do with Calmini on my SC 04 X that I had. I didn't like the 3" lift and it felt too cheap and didn't seem engineered that great. So I went with SLR.

My question however is did Calmini by some chance actually get their lift in half way decent shape so that it's much better than what they have done in the past? Should I just stick with SLR?

Jordon ... before going SAS you were going to go through with the SLR lift. I assume you know a bit about the lift and hopefully can help. Thanks!

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol ... all I can say is I hope. I've been waiting for months now and it's been all paid up for. I did the King shocks too so the kit all and all is a bit expensive but I hope I'm getting what I paid for.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Just being able to run King's is worth it.

Everyone seems to have this crazy sticker shock over the price of the SLR kit but it's exactly like you put it... you get what you pay for!

No, i don't have their stuff but just familiar with them from their competition trucks... it's freakin strong stuff that works.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I'm going with SLR. It's almost apples and oranges to compare what they offer with lifts achieved by spacers, shackles and upper rear leafs alone. Better coils in front are a start (I think it's AC that offers these) but I'm looking for a much much better suspension as much or more than I'm looking for tire clearance, although of course I want to clear 33s at least.

I'm sure SLR won't mind me saying that their website isn't exactly up to date. So give them a call, and let Josh explain what's on offer. I've visited the shop twice, spoken with Josh and Spencer countless times, and I'm ready to run up some credit card debt for what I'll get in return.

Besides, a lifted truck that crushes washboard roads and whoops, handles better than stock on road and goes the distance, even under stressful trail conditions, will pay for itself over a few years, in fun and as far as repairs go.

One final thought: if you're going to stay mainly on pavement, disregard this post. But if you wheel hard and can afford it, I'm convinced SLR is the way to go.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Flip

let us know when you get it on. I want to see the SLR in person, and as of now plan on adding it myself when I win the lotto!

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I've seen the SLR lift on their SEMA truck, and I've handled the key components in their shop. Not that I'm anything other than an amateur, but from what I can tell the spindles and control arms and the like are probably going to outlast the truck. Add King coilovers and a new leaf pack and you're taking the X anywhere hard with no serious worries.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
awesome. Now if only the front diff was a bit stronger.

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. Friday Josh said it still planning on shipping this next week. I hope so. That will only be the 4th time I've been told that exact same thing. For some reason I can't seem to learn my lession so I'm hopeful that this time it actually might be true.

·
on line
87 Posts
For the price of the slr why dont you just sas it.

·
on line
87 Posts
Hmm ponys equaled what 6k. Whats the slr kit 5k or more.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, Pony's $6k estimate was for parts only (no labor). And since it's not a bolt on kit, there is a lot of fab work involved. Unless you build lifts before and understand all the geometry and have good fab/welding skills, you will be paying someone else to do the SAS for you.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Pony's rig looks awesome. And the travel he gets, judging from the pics, is fantastic.

But not everyone wants a solid front axle. For lots of what I do, I like the IFS. I'd probably go for some kind of long travel kit with the IFS before I'd do a swap. That's just me.

It's true that SLR is gonna run 5K plus, but even if the money were identical, I'd put it into lift, suspension components and the like.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I've already got my mind made up that I'm going to be doing the SAS. So for me there's no point to waste the money to get the 5" lift kit from SLR and then spend more money on the SAS. Just do it right the first time. That won't be for another two years or so. Right now things are more on getting myself a job and then our house. After we get the house then I get move on with my truck plans as the money comes in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts