·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8264/
midtravel028ql9.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/456/
midtravel032el4.jpg

Since it's been too long without pics, and thanks to Syndicate for saving my pic-illiterate butt, here's a sampling of shots from during the install, which is not finished. The rear shocks are too long; at 10" they limit travel. So King is making a shock for this lift that solves the problem.The configurations you see here, front included, are changing slightly, as Spencer tweaks the Lightracing jounce shocks (hydraulic bump stops), bracketry, etc. The rear springs, a full replacement Deaver pack, is being replaced for something with more arc and beef.

Hannemann is making fiberglass fenders, which are being installed right now. Spencer trimmed the stock fenders you see in these pics.

I had the X back for a week, and it rode great. The on road handling was excellent. It's designed to be able to wheel hard in the desert loaded with camping and recovery gear. All the rates and ride height are being tweaked these next two weeks.

The wheels are 16x8 Pro Comp forged alloys. They needed 3/4" spacers and some machining. Spencer swears they're bullet-proof. The tires are BFG M/Ts, 285 75 16s. Overall, the front track width is an extra 4 inches a side. The axle half-shafts are 2.5" longer, plus wheels and spacers.

Spencer is about to put out a catalogue of lifts he's offering. It will be ready to post here soon. I'll have a bunch of detailed specs shortly. And maybe this should all be moved to "Projects," but I thought I'd start here since there have been so many posts on SLR and off in the "Suspension" category.

·
on line
369 Posts
Wow bro that looks really good. I'd like to see some pics from the front and rear of your vehicle to see how the increased track width looks from that perspective. What is the track width increase over stock considering the control arms, spacers, and wheel backspacing?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of exact measurements like that have yet to be taken (increased travel, for instance) but the total track width increase is between 4 and 5". And too be clear: I'm about 75 miles from SLR, so I can't shoot pics, although I can try to get Spencer to take some more. When I get the truck back for real I'll shoot a bunch of careful pics, now that i have a good camera and I figured out how to post images!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Wow David, that's sick!

It's exceeded my expectations. I'm impressed with your attention to perfection, with making sure the thing is 100% dialed in. Way to set the standard man.

Please do keep us updated.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Looks great!

I thought there was a new tie rod connection. Looks alittle steep.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Hey D, you finally posted it... i was getting tempted to post the pics for you since mustard put them on clubfrontier a while ago.
Looks great and anyone one that doesn't think Spencer can create works of art; here ya go!
boo [email protected]!n!, yay SLR!

Koko, they're using a 3" extension for the stock tie-rod; you can see it in the 3rd pic.

--

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spencer is working on a full replacement tie rod that addresses the space, angle and (perhaps) strength issues.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Looks to me like the base of the coilover where it mounts to the LCA would cause contact when the suspension cycles. I'd be curious to see how the suspension cycles. Probably just an illusion, but looks like it would cause contact to me. I would think as the suspension compresses, the shock will become closer to horizontal, causing the "taper" to contact the LCA.

But, I dunno... just an observation. :dontknow:

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The "taper"part of the shock assembly does look like it might contact the LCA, but it's been run through the suspension cycle and it doesn't touch at all. I'll try to get some pics from the top, and when I get the truck back I'll post pics with the suspension fully compressed in the rocks. We did get some rubbing where the coil contacted the half shaft during hard steering, but simply rotating the coil 45 degrees or so solved that. New tie rods will also create more space for the shock.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Here's a pic of that new Titan conversion tie-rod Spencer has in the works. Basically the same as mine except for the taper to allow for those big ole 2.5 shocks; very nice!

·
on line
266 Posts
looks really good.

but that extra 4 inches of track width really makes the truck look lop-sided, is there any way to correct that? I know to get longer travel with an IFS, you need to increase the track width, but maybe some custom offset wheels for the front and rear (rear running negative offset, front running positive offset)?

4 inches on each side just seems like a bit much

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly that was a concern all along for me, but when I drove the truck around for a week I was surprised how much I liked the look. So did lots of other people. The handling was great. And the use value, in added stability as well as travel, is of course the main reason for swapping the half-shafts in ther first place.

Custom fenders will enhance/mellow the look as well, and wheels that fit without spacers would bring the tires in some. And people who run 255 85s will obviously have a narrower stance.

For people who want to balance the track width front and rear, longer rear axles could fit the bill I suppose. But that might cause more issues and expense than it would be worth. I have no idea about whether the offset suggestion is viable, but it's intriguing.

Look at some of the better pics of the whole truck coming soon and let me know what you all think. Unfortunately, Hannemann fenders look like they might be months away as opposed to weeks.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
d-rap said:
For people who want to balance the track width front and rear, longer rear axles could fit the bill I suppose. But that might cause more issues and expense than it would be worth. I have no idea about whether the offset suggestion is viable, but it's intriguing.
You're totally right Dave... it's easy enough to swap in the Titan rear axle to match the track width which has been done on Frontiers... but (for CookX)... that's also because the Fronty's have F/G bedsides available. What D said about the expense will come into play on the X because you can't just throw fiberglass on the rear of the X because the doors are part of the fender; you'd be dropping some serious $$$ on bodywork.

·
on line
266 Posts
are there two versions of this lift available? If i remember correctly, the other guy that had this lift done didnt have the big difference in track width

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The other lift you're referring to had no increase in track width. It was a 5" lift with King 2.5" shocks and a diff drop-down bracket in the front to keep CV angles close to OEM specs. The half-shafts in that truck were original equipment.

I decided to go with longer, stronger half-shafts. And Titan-size control arms. I wanted the travel, and Spencer promised I wouldn't be sorry when I hit the washboards, whoops, and rocks. It's less lift, but it retains CV angles and adds plenty of flex and stability. I'm not looking for ride height; I want to get around smoothly on rough desert trails and still retain the excellent, relatively low center of gravity maneuverability that is signature Xterra.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Also remember that D-rap has the wheel spacer contributing to increased track width... if you run an aftermarket shock like the radflo or even AC coils and replace the stock X control arms with Titan arms (which are 3" wider) the track width will only increase 2-2.5" due to the downward force/angle on the arms from the increased preload.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pics of the Frontier SLR worked on at the same time as my X. It has the same SLR UCAs and boxed Titan lowers, and the same 2.5" longer replacement half-shafts. These shots show the track width with the stock wheels.

Without the spacers, and with OEM wheel offset, the stance is more low-key.

The Frontier owner, "mustard" on clubfrontier, sounds like he loves the results in the dirt.

·
on line
369 Posts
That doesn't look bad at all. That's probably what mine is going to look like with the 1" adapters and 4.5" BS wheels, but the front will be matched to the rear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts