Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a look at a Frontier (CC Nismo 4x4 MT) rear driveshaft today. The slip yoke at the t/c case end of the shaft appears to be the same slip yoke on the X driveshafts. It measures 8.5 inches FROM THE CENTER OF THE U-JOINT to the end of the shaft.

I know a lot of people were getting concerned about the yokes being pulled out of the T/C after lifting the rear end. I crawled under my rig and it's kinda hard to tell where the T/C output shaft really starts because of the rubber boot, but maybe this will give people a better idea of how much they have to work with.

Also... I've been talking to the people at JE Reel. If you don't have a local driveshaft shop that will lengthen your stock driveshaft, these guys can do it for you.

Also, they would be interested in machining new driveshaft pinion flanges that could accept a u-joint and bolt up to the stock diff pinion flange so that they could start making heavy duty u-joint driveshafts. The issue is that Spicer makes the driveshaft but Nissan won't let them release the individual parts. They're going to need to find an actual driveshaft so that they can cut off the flange and copy the bolt pattern. They also need to copy the slip yoke. They've only had one in their hands, which was sent to them by Calmini. They had to put another CV joint in it to cure a customer's vibration problems and ship it out asap.

If somebody had a spare driveshaft (or a busted one with the flange and slip yoke intact) they would be willing to do it. Talk to "Jim" if you're interested. And I should say that I've never taken a good look at a c200, so I have no idea if the pinion flanges are the same as the M226 or not...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I'll tell you right now, with the M226 there is no need to beef up the stock driveshaft, you will blow the diff before the driveshaft gives up.

·
on line
423 Posts
heya, i had to do a new driveshaft to get rid of the vibration after installing the Calmini 5" lift.

I went to Tom Woods Driveshaft in Ogden, Utah. Just finished the install and the vibration is gone. The shaft is also a bit longer to fix the pull out from lifting the truck, etc. Also, the new shaft uses standard heavy duty u-joints, so if something happens to the shaft, it can be fixed most anywhere instead of the strange CV Nissan used at the diff.

Here are some pics of my new driveline and the install.
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s2/jtaoj/2005 X Lift/
not in any specific order. I just posted on XOC.

I agree that the driveshaft is not the weak link in our drivetrains...but...if you are going to do major work on the shaft to fix something else like the vibration, then you just as well go for something stronger.

I used a custom JK pinion flange that Tom Woods sells and it fit/worked great. Tom Woods does mail order and they now have success with 2nd Gen drivelines, so there is another option for us.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Sweet.... i just might ordre one now.... Oh i dont have any drive line vibrations with the calmini kit.... must be the alcan leaf springs that I used rather than the ones that come with the kit.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JtaoJ said:
heya, i had to do a new driveshaft to get rid of the vibration after installing the Calmini 5" lift.

I went to Tom Woods Driveshaft in Ogden, Utah. Just finished the install and the vibration is gone. The shaft is also a bit longer to fix the pull out from lifting the truck, etc. Also, the new shaft uses standard heavy duty u-joints, so if something happens to the shaft, it can be fixed most anywhere instead of the strange CV Nissan used at the diff.

Here are some pics of my new driveline and the install.
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s2/jtaoj/2005 X Lift/
not in any specific order. I just posted on XOC.

I agree that the driveshaft is not the weak link in our drivetrains...but...if you are going to do major work on the shaft to fix something else like the vibration, then you just as well go for something stronger.

I used a custom JK pinion flange that Tom Woods sells and it fit/worked great. Tom Woods does mail order and they now have success with 2nd Gen drivelines, so there is another option for us.
Hey JtaoJ,

I was wondering what was going on with your rig. I remember reading some of your posts a while back....

What did TW charge you for the new pinion flange and the driveshaft? Did you have any problem setting the torque on the pinion flange nut? I know I start to get a little nervous when talking about ring and pinion set-up. Also, did anyone take any measurements to determine how far back the JK flange mating surface sits compared to the stock flange? Also.. I'm guessing from the welds in the photo that they had to take the slip yoke from your original driveshaft...

Sorry for the 20 questions.

·
on line
423 Posts
No prob on the questions. Let me try to answer as best I can.

Price: I would just give them a call. Tom Woods asked me to just tell anyone who is interested to call. They didn't cut me any kind of deal above and beyond my club discount (Utah Four Wheel Drive), but he wants to make sure he quotes rates and not have them published on the web :) Tom said he would keep the specs so they could replicate what they did. A second option is to have them make an adapter. That is what I was going to do until we found out the JK flange would work.

Pinion Preload: I used an inch pound torque wrench to get the initial preload and then tried my best to reset it AND get the actual nut torque to specs. I am a little nervous about that piece, but feel that I am probably close.

Driveline length: If you go to Tom Woods site, he has a diagram for measuring. With the JK flange installed, the measurement from the end of the transfer case output shaft to the face of the JK flange is about 37 1/4". That same measurement with the stock flange is 35 9/16". Also, the JK flange is a custom piece they sell. The pinion flange is 24 spline count as is the Xterra's. Also, the depth, etc. is the same. I even got the dust shield to slide onto the JK flange with a little dremel grinding work...very light amount.

The slip yoke: Yup, that is exactly what they have to do...cut off your slip yoke and weld it back on. I talked to JE Reel, and that is what they did for Calmini.

One other thing...after I got the JK pinion installed and got the measurement down, it only took them a day to complete the new driveline.

I am curious about the Alcan springs...did they just create a different pinion angle? I shimmed mine and couldn't lose the vibration.

·
on line
2,094 Posts
well i have a one piece frontier drive shaft if you guys need measurement for anything

also the m226 and c200 for the 4wd on the frontiers are the same as far as bolt pattern but the spline counts are different

·
on line
554 Posts
i know this might be a stupid question, but but is there a way to get a lighter driveshaft?

·
on line
1,811 Posts
For those who have lifted their X's around 4-5" in the rear. What drivetrain/driveshaft issues did you encounter. My biggest concern is at full flex it coming out. I am about to put my suspension on this weekend (if it arrives). Hopefully I don't have any problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts