Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm in 4lo and I'm creeping up a rather steep dirt road when I get to a rocky wet spot. The wheels start slipping and the slip control engages (loud grinding noise from left front). The slip control is supposed to create traction by breaking the slipping wheel and thus giving more power to the other tire. In this case though, evidentally all the tires were slipping, the slip control activated and the vehicle would go no farther. I backed up and retried....same thing. I guess the slip control was breaking all the tires. My question is ......I thought the slip control was supposed to be deactivated in 4lo. Anyone know?

·
on line
26 Posts
The grinding is the abs modulator turning on and off the brakes. and when in 4lo the VDC turns off not SLIP. Slip is kind of like a LSD but when all wheels are spinning it will decrease power to the one and sometimes all wheels until traction is made. Thus not allowing us to make it to the top of the damn hill. Design flaw i think so but it works great for low speed crawling not so much hill climbs.

·
on line
735 Posts
it doesn't work super great on loose surfaces where you need momentum. If you have the OR model with the locker, that helps a lot because the ABLS never engages on the rear axle since both tires are always going the same speed. mechanical locker > electronic brake tricks.

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info....very helpfull! I think the only way to help me in that situation is to get better traction tires so there might not be so much slippage. The tires i have are stock 'Long Trails' and I gotta tell ya that on wet surfaces they seem to be rather useless.

By the way.....I've been on some pretty rugged trails, (Arizona and Colorado) and except for that one instance with the wet rocks, the 'X' did fantastic!

·
on line
230 Posts
I have had this happen as well, very frustrating. Not sure what can be done without a front locker, which we wont see without a new front end.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Few things.

It's the ABLS doing it's thing. It's not fool proof, but there are things you can do to help it a long.

1. Easy on the gas. If you get the tires spinning too fast, the brakes can't grab the spinning wheel to transfer the power.

2. If all tires are losing traction it will pulse the brakes back and forth (right to left) very fast trying to get one of the tires to grab traction. Again, easy on the gas.

3. ABLS is not a locker, so keep in mind, it works, it works pretty well, but it has it's limitations.

4. Traction is all about the tires. A locked rig with crappy tires will be no better than an open rig with good tires. IMO, for wheeling, good tires are the best upgrade you can get. The type of wheeling you do and the terrain you wheel will dictate the type of tire you want.

·
on line
564 Posts
Ajwestfall said:
...in 4lo and I'm creeping up a rather steep dirt road when I get to a rocky wet spot. The wheels start slipping...
I don't know if it would've helped in this case, but momentum is sometimes one of your best friends on the trail...a LITTLE BIT of extra speed right before a tough section will usually help you through it. Of course some better tires would definitely help!

Rob

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I'm glad I have the OR with rear locker and my BFG ATs. The locker has allowed me to crawl up some stuff that I would have had to use a lot more momentum to conquer. I haven't been on any wet rocks yet, but in the mud the BFG ATs do a lot better than the stock Rugged Trails.

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Muzikman is right.....quality tires.....easy on the gas. I probably could've made it up the hill fairly easy, but the noise freaked me out and I bailed. I did not know the noise was normal. Also, bulding up momentum in the situation I was in would've been dangerous, as there were only a few feet of ground between me and a 1000ft drop off. :blackeye:

·
on line
564 Posts
Ajwestfall said:
...there were only a few feet of ground between me and a 1000ft drop off. :blackeye:
Cool!...that must have added some pucker factor!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts