Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

What do you think about slim line bumpers for X? I would love to get a greater approach angle and get rid of the stock bumper, but I don't see the need for a heavy Shrock made front. I know that Land Rovers have something like shown on this site:

Would this work for Xterras at all? I don't have good PhotoShop skills, but if you do and if you have some time, it would be nice to see the alternatives :)

·
on line
807 Posts
I don't think we can get THAT slim without cutting some sheetmetal. There is a lot of crap behind our bumpers.

·
on line
1,054 Posts
I agree with Steve, we have far to much junk, not to mention, i don't think it would look right with a bumper like that.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Wouldn't a skid, similar to that on the Shrockworks bumper, take care of protecting all that stuff behind our bumper?

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I agree with most of the others... a slimline bumper just won't look right. I wish it would, because I hate the thought of building a bulky bumper purposely, but I think it is the only way. As mentioned, just too much stuff to cover up under there. (There are a couple good threads about bumper installs to see all the bulk behind the factory unit, but I don't have time to search for them right now)

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mcampana said:
vman, what happened to you not wanting to wheel your truck and selling it?
I spent about 2 months researching. The fact is: As I see it now, there is no better can than X even if the diffs are weak. Land Rover is a distant second, but I don't have a garage to constantly fix crap myself. If anything, it is going to be an automatic X so I can lure my future wife to wheel with me. Plus, the car is about to be paid off soon (or I hope).

Does anybody have a picture of an X w/o a front bumper? It would be nice to see what is hanging...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Go back in the Shrockworks archives and look for Dnorton's X without the bumper. Jim took a pic or two while he was building the front bumper. The thread would be quite old, and it might not even be on here, you might have to head over to XOC.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, well this option is out of the window... Too much stuff is hanging in there... I just hate the fact that the bumpers released for X are freaking tanks...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, the Shrock is about as thin as you can get. You could build something like the shrock center part, but use tube for the sides. It might look decent. A buddy is building a bumper similar to that idea for his Jeep MJ.

·
on line
266 Posts
Muzikman said:
Yeah, the Shrockworks is about as thin as you can get. You could build something like the Shrockworks center part, but use tube for the sides. It might look decent. A buddy is building a bumper similar to that idea for his Jeep MJ.
post some pics of that when he's done building it. I'm curious about how it iwll look

·
on line
15,651 Posts
This is not it, but where he got his idea from.

You would obviously have to add a front skid like on the Shrockworks, but that wouldn't be hard.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now, this is freaking awesome!!!! Does he plan to make several of 'em?

·
on line
750 Posts
For my area, the Shrock just makes sense. I get the offroad aspect of it along with some protection from boatloads of deer and elk around here. Almost nailed a doe last night...and SW hasn't shipped yet.

But yes, I wish it were lighter.

·
on line
259 Posts
BioTerra said:
But yes, I wish it were lighter.
Maybe you can drill out / vent the heck out of the bumper like this custom one for this mitsubishi...

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

1 - 20 of 23 Posts