Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Sliders OR Amour

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a little money to play with, what do you think I should purchase first, at this time it's one or the other because well, that's my budget at this time.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
If you have an OR then I would go with the sliders. If you have the crumby OEM step bars then I would go the armor. If you have neither, I would get the sliders and at least the gas tank skid. If it is truly either or, then I say the sliders and just go around everything. Stick to really easy trails. It's just not worth it in my opinion to risk any damage.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
SLIDERS!!

the stock X has good ground clearence, but you want something to protect your soft rocker pannels. it is highly sugjested in the off road comunity that the first thing to buy is sliders.

·
on line
107 Posts
Sliders are first, there's no where to jack a stock X from offroad w/o them...plus, break over angle damage to rocker panels is a common issue, maybe the most common, followed by scraping along a rock or stump, etc....plus, ON road, they totally protect you against Bozo Damage from people who open their car doors into your truck, sideswipe you, etc.

:D

For the new X's...you start with sliders, then skid plates from the front, to the back, if you have to do it a bit at a time for $ reasons. etc.

(For the 1st gen X's, you start at the back, and work skids to the front...but the radiator and so forth on the new X's is more vulnerable, and the butt end is less vulnerable, than on the older X's...)

It doesn't matter what model, and the OEM step rails do not change the order, as they are meaningless offroad...and, tend to bend up and CAUSE damage, rather than protect you...so even if you DON'T have sliders ready to install, etc...you want to remove the step rails before offroading...its better to have none than the OEM's on there.

That way - you don't mess the step rails up...and, they fetch more on ebay....helping to pay for the sliders.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
TJ said:
Sliders are first, there's no where to jack a stock X from offroad w/o them...plus, break over angle damage to rocker panels is a common issue, maybe the most common, followed by scraping along a rock or stump, etc....plus, ON road, they totally protect you against Bozo Damage from people who open their car doors into your truck, sideswipe you, etc.

For the new X's...you start with sliders, then skid plates from the front, to the back, if you have to do it a bit at a time for $ reasons. etc.

(For the 1st gen X's, you start at the back, and work skids to the front...but the radiator and so forth on the new X's is more vulnerable, and the butt end is less vulnerable, than on the older X's...)

It doesn't matter what model, and the OEM step rails do not change the order, as they are meaningless offroad...and, tend to bend up and CAUSE damage, rather than protect you...so even if you DON'T have sliders ready to install, etc...you want to remove the step rails before offroading...its better to have none than the OEM's on there.

That way - you don't mess the step rails up...and, they fetch more on ebay....helping to pay for the sliders.

I have never owned a first gen X but when you say to start front to back on the 2nd gen, is it only because of the position of the radiator? The reason I ask is because when I first got under my X, I was totally shocked to see a plastic gas tank.

If you go through Courtesy Nissan, you can get some cheap inexpensive armor to make due with until you can afford Jim's stuff but the first plate I got from Jim was for the gas tank.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Sliders first.

Really, with the 2nd gen, I am unsure where the best place to start with skids is.

The radiator in the front is really low, so a skid there is a good idea.
The gas tank is plastic, and my stock tank skid was in worse shape than any other of my skids.
The Diff is aluminum, so one drop on a rock will crack the case.

The engine skid might be the only one you could get away without.

But again, I still think sliders are the best first mod.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I have never owned a first gen X but when you say to start front to back on the 2nd gen, is it only because of the position of the radiator?
On a 2nd Gen X (I have an 05) I wouldn't say only because of the radiator.

The front differential and oil pan are there. The oil pan is covered by the stock skids on the OR package but that diff hangs down below the frame. And the stock skids get pretty bent up at that location; lest on my truck :cyclopsani:

As for the radiator, the Shrock bumper includes a replacement skid for this area. Or so I'm told.

·
on line
244 Posts
I went with the gas skid first, only because the tank is plastic and that bothered me the most. I just got my sliders installed, so now I will be getting the rest of the skids.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
the gas tank is made of plastic, but its a resiliant plastic, so as long as you dont slam it down on a rock, or rake it across the rocks; it will bend out of the way and come away pretty much unscathed. THIS IS WHEN A GOOD SPOTTER IS USED!, to guide you around slamming your underbelly onto any sharp rocks and for other things.

Now as to where to start your armour, is anyone best guess, everyone has personal prefrences; Me, I am going to either put all the skids onto my credit card and have them all at once, or take a small personal loan to buy them all at once. I am not going to play guessing games with what is more important than the other.

I will say that if you do not plan on getting the shrock front bumber for a while, then get the shrock radiator skid, the factory one sucks!!

I hope that all of our input will help you with finding out what to do about your skids and not confuse you, but its pretty much unanamous that you get your sliders first. :thumbright:

·
on line
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, i placed my order with jim a few weeks ago for the sliders :D

i'm going to wait till i move back to houston for the armor :D

·
on line
255 Posts
'Sliders OR Amour?'

'Amour' of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts