Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get several pieces of armor for my X and wanted some input. I like the products that Shrockworks makes but by the time you factor in shipping I'm looking at about $525 for the set of rock sliders alone. Calmini's are less money but I don't know anything about their strength or durability.

How much of a gamble are local fabricators? Any suggestions?

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Pending on the fabricator, you could spend just as much as Shrockworks. The thing you wont have is the guarantee that shrockworks can provide... Just my .02

·
on line
2,077 Posts
yeah, what atekt said, jim has replaced sliders that bend or were broken. you don't get that kind of guarantee with a local fabricator, and i doubt calmini offers that kind of support either.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am always a firm supporter of local fabs shops.

There are a couple issues.

1. Finding a good reputable shop. This is a lot harder than it sounds. I have a few guys I will take my stuff too and will feel 100% comfortable giving them my money. But I have heard of quite a few horror stories about people not getting what they ordered, etc.

2. Time. Some thing that Shockworks takes a long time to get things to you. A good local custom fab shop will have a lot of orders and usually only be a person or two doing the work.

3. Cost. A lot of times a local custom fab shop does not mean cheap.

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Muzikman said:
I am always a firm supporter of local fabs shops.

There are a couple issues.

1. Finding a good reputable shop. This is a lot harder than it sounds. I have a few guys I will take my stuff too and will feel 100% comfortable giving them my money. But I have heard of quite a few horror stories about people not getting what they ordered, etc.
Can you advise on how to find a reputable shop...things I should look for, questions I should ask, etc?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Honestly, I found mine by hanging out with local clubs and getting to know people. I doubt you'll be able to find a good shop by asking them questions. I would search local off-road club web sites, see who they are taking their vehicles too. The wheeling community is pretty small. bad word spreads quick.

·
on line
704 Posts
Mayor,

Have you considered making the sliders yourself? My local community college offers courses on metal work. $300 for a semester and you get access to the shop. That's what I am considering. It will probably end up costing me more money in the long run, but I would love to improve on the already existing designs. I am thinking of taking the course some time in the future.

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Muzikman said:
Honestly, I found mine by hanging out with local clubs and getting to know people. I doubt you'll be able to find a good shop by asking them questions. I would search local off-road club web sites, see who they are taking their vehicles too. The wheeling community is pretty small. bad word spreads quick.
Good point. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the local websites. Thanks for your help Muzikman.

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lonesome Crow said:
Didn't 8th man have his SAS done in the Denver area? All-Phase I think it was. They might be able to suggest something.
I did see something about All-Phase in one of the other forums for other modifications. I'll check with them...nice suggestion Lonesome Crow.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll post the results of my quest once I decide to pull the trigger on something. Feel free to throw more ideas out there if you think of any.

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vman said:
Mayor,

Have you considered making the sliders yourself? My local community college offers courses on metal work. $300 for a semester and you get access to the shop. That's what I am considering. It will probably end up costing me more money in the long run, but I would love to improve on the already existing designs. I am thinking of taking the course some time in the future.
I did see this on another thread on the site but I hadn't really considered this option much. I like where your heads at, I'm just not at all confident in my mechanical ability, to tell you the truth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts