Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 385 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
I used to have a Pathfinder, and I found a way to sleep in the back of it, making use of only 'the parts that came with the truck', and I can do the same thing with the X, as outlined below:

0)
With the passenger side rear seat folded down:

there isn't enough length for me to sleep in the back. I use a Therm-a-Rest camping mattress that is 20.5 inches wide and 73 inches long:

More room can be created by removing the passenger side rear seat cushion, however that creates an empty area between the cargo area floor and the passenger front seat.

1)
Flip the passenger side rear seat cushion up, lift up on the plastic latch handles (e.g. upper handle in this photo), and remove the seat cushion

2)
Raise the passenger side rear headrest to it's upper position, press in on the release button, and remove the headrest

3)
Either tilt the passenger side front seatback forward, or if possible fold it flat, and slide the passenger side front seat forward

4)
Place the headrest on the floor on the passenger side rear. The side of the headrest that goes against the person's head goes against the floor, so either make sure the floor is clean, or protect the headrest

5)
Place the passenger side rear seatcushion with its rear edge against the rear edge of the passenger side front seat

6)
Push the passenger side rear seatcushion's front edge down so that it rests on the headrest. This leaves the seatcushion level with the cargo area

7)
There is now a fully supported area that is actually a bit longer than my 73 inch mattress

·
on line
1,479 Posts
:cheers: that is great! that will make things defenitelly easier!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Great write up.

I still need to sleep on a diagnol in the X with my feet up on the folded passengers seat. I just don't fit any other way.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
- :clown: Tis is a view of my X opened up inside the X-hatch tent-

-

--My wife and I always sleep inside when we're camping and we use an inflateable queen size mattress, obviously not this picture--

--I'm 6'4" and I can't really stretch out, BUT thats OK--

-- :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,361 Posts
JIMBO said:
-
--My wife and I always sleep inside when we're camping and we use an inflateable queen size mattress, obviously not this picture--
Hows the mattress fit back there? This is my plan for our next trip since it's starting to get cooler out.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
--Yo lostboy--

lostboy said:
JIMBO said:
-
------------------------------------------------------
Hows the mattress fit back there? This is my plan for our next trip since it's starting to get cooler out.

--I've got interlocking pads in back, as you can see--
-So I just brush them to insure there are no sharp objects to puncture the---------------INFLATABLE MATTRESS-------------

-Then using the rear power outlet, I inflate the Matt. to about 90% full and it bulges a little in places and this keeps both of you from BUMPING into the fender wells--

--I use, depending on the weather--twin 30 deg. bags, or a 0 deg dual bag for both of us, to sleep in comfort--

--Now if you're going this weekend, it's to late for this, but I'll take a series of pictures and show the install. and also a screen vent for air circulation. It won't be untill either this afternoon or tomorrow morning, because I'm going to San Frsancisco to meet my daughter for lunch--

--I'm 6' 4' so I can't be as comfy as I am at Home in the California King bed---But what the hey!!!

-- :drunken: :drunken: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,361 Posts
JIMBO said:
--Yo lostboy--

lostboy said:
JIMBO said:
-

--I've got interlocking pads in back, as you can see--
-So I just brush them to insure there are no sharp objects to puncture the---------------INFLATABLE MATTRESS-------------

-Then using the rear power outlet, I inflate the Matt. to about 90% full and it bulges a little in places and this keeps both of you from BUMPING into the fender wells--

--I use, depending on the weather--twin 30 deg. bags, or a 0 deg dual bag for both of us, to sleep in comfort--

--Now if you're going this weekend, it's to late for this, but I'll take a series of pictures and show the install. and also a screen vent for air circulation. It won't be untill either this afternoon or tomorrow morning, because I'm going to San Frsancisco to meet my daughter for lunch--

--I'm 6' 4' so I can't be as comfy as I am at Home in the California King bed---But what the hey!!!

No we are not going this weekend :cwm10: but thats ok cause I will be dusting up a trail on my bike.

Pics would be cool. I am 6'3 so I figure you would have a good idea of how I would fit back there. When we camp we always use the queen air matress. She demands it so if that is her only demand while camping then I am more than happy to oblige.

We have 20F rated sleeping bags and if it's colder than that then I am going solo :iconbiggrin:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I'm 4500+ miles into my trip of 8 days. been sleeping in the X entire trip, who wants to spring for a hotel when all you get is 3 hours a night? Been stopping at MC bases and taking a shower and using Nutrisystem for food. I used this tip and found it to be very usful to get that extra 6" of room. Slept like a baby! MC

·
on line
1,864 Posts
- :clown: Yo lets start

--

--halfway thru--

--

--Done,ready to sleep

--

--OKI now thats queen size, front seats , forward and comfy--

--Now I've been drinking beer and it's hot, so I'll enter this one and in a short time start on the Air vent pics

·
on line
1,864 Posts
-- :clown: How about the air vent ?

--I'm using the front windows, because if you use the back door windows, it allows a COLD breeze right across your heads --

--

--right, sorry for the shadows, but you use a 38"x18" piece of cardboard for the template and FELT-TIP pen trace the opening outline and transfer to a piece of 3/16 plexiglass--

--using a jig-saw and FINE blade, cut. then layout the screen opening--size to fit--I'm sorry, but I made this 6 months ago and I can't walk you thru it--thats ok, you guys are sharp!!!-I used 1" SS adhevise tape to hold the Fabric screen to the opening, fairly strong-here's the end result

--

1 - 20 of 385 Posts