·
on line
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a BIG box in the mail from PRG which includes

TC UCAs
Radflo Coilovers
Mini Deaver 2" Spring upgrade

I somehow got this Thursday June 14th Off and want to install it all on the X. I got all the tools needed to take the X apart and torque back to spec but need to know what you think a realistic time frame would be start to finish?

Reason for the question is -

I have an alignment set for Friday Morning at Firestone but the kicker part is that after the alignment I need to drive down to Baltimore, MD for a job and the X will not see a shop if anything goes wrong till I get back up to NJ.

Well now that I read what I wrote it would be safer for me to wait till I get back and install it.

What do you guys think?

Is it safe for me to install the lift, align it and drive to Baltimore or wait for a weekend and do it then. ( Before ECXC of course )

DaveP

·
on line
1,792 Posts
XterraVT said:
Well now that I read what I wrote it would be safer for me to wait till I get back and install it.
I'm a beginning wrencher, but even if I weren't I think I'd play it safe. Why create a high-pressure situation unnecessarily. Everything might go perfectly, and some people may post that you can do it easily, but if it were me, I'd go the chill route, do the lift, get the alignment, see how it rode, be able to tweak this and that, low pressure, at my leisure, time to think and really feel how it rides.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
So you have the entire day to do the install? Like sun rise to sun set? If so, you can do that install in that amount of time....no problem.

One thing, do you have a 2nd car or access to one? Meaning, if you need something while you are in the middle of the install, can you run to the parts store without needing to find a ride? Not saying you will need anything, but I can't remember a major mod that I have done that I didn't need to make a run to get something.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm doing the lift indoors at my CAT shop and will have access to one of the company trucks during the day and def at night after 5pm.

Local parts store consist of Pep Boys ( 1 mile away ) Auto Zone ( 6 miles away ) and a mom and pop just down the road.

The Firestone guy didn't think he could get it back to Factory Specs.

He said it was because they use stock ride height specs and when I add 3" of lift the computer doesn't know what is going on and will come close but not 100%. How have you guys gone about this and are all of your X's slightly misaligned?

What is an ok amount to be off by?

Oh my X did come with Cam Bolts.

Thanks

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That is plenty of auto parts stores. If there is a hardware store near by, that is handy too.

Personally, I would take on the project if you have the entire day, but then again, I been wrenching on cars since before I could drive.

As for the alignment. The one firestone told me the same thing. Then when he came out with the little print out, he was like...huh, we were able to do it.

I have had it to two other Firestones and neither even questioned the lift and got it within spec. But, I only have 2.5" AC coils.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Thursday? Let me see how my week shapes up, but I might be able to bail at lunch time.

Oh, you are going to have to lend me your stock front struts. (I will fill you in later)

·
on line
1,831 Posts
There's one part of the install that you should decide on now.

In order to slide a bolt out of one of the stock UCA main hinges you have to either dismantle the steering or saw through it. Either option is a pain, especially with the plastic fender well being completely in the way.

So chose now if you want to spend a straight 10 minutes with a hack saw, or an untold amount of minutes toying with the steering.

It might not have been a pain for others but man, I hated that part.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greg tossed the bolt in with the order so the 10 min hack will be the way i'm going.

What I didn't order was the Shims. Greg said that I didn't need them and only a few guys have had the vibration problem. It'll be pricey but I could still order and have them here by Thursday.

Keith - If you show up those struts are all yours Bro. Even if you can't show up you can swing over and grab them.

I'm heading over to OK 4WD on Wed to pic up my rear Timbrens and new U's for the springs.

Um what size U-bolts do we need for the rears by the way?

You guys all ROCK by the way

Thanks DaveP

·
on line
1,320 Posts
I stepped out for 2 minutes and now you already have this info

You can do it... the front is no problem, you just unbolt the old and bolt in the new.
SPRAY all the bolts with PB Blaster now and again tomorrow and they'll be ready to go on thursday.
For the bolt that Syndicate is talking about use a Sawzall and it takes about 1 minute... just have someone throw some pliers on one end to hold it.
It's personal preference but i don't recommend cranking the shocks all the way up the full 3"... it can make for a pretty harsh ride.
The rear is not bad but I hate working on spring packs... that's where I could see needing some extra hardware... u-bolts, center pins or whatever.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm quick what can I say

I'm also Stuck on a Pier in NYC and have been here since May 20th. I come in @ 6am parallel my generators and walk to the Kraft Services tent where I set up my laptop and Surf the day away. I do check the engines every Hr on the Hr but other than that I Surf.

I can't wait for this to be over tomorrow. THE BIG FINALE!!!

Reality TV sucks!

So Um If I don't go up to the full 3" in the front then I'm going to be pretty A$$ up with the 2" Deavers and the DayStar shackles. My old stock shackles are in VT and have no way to get them down here.

Do you think it will be ok or will it look way to crazy with that much rake?

Later

DaveP

·
on line
99 Posts
my wife and I were able to complete pretty much the same lift you have up front in about 3hrs, we're handy but not mechanics... it's really straight forward. I definetly agree on the sawzall, don't even mess with trying to dissmantle anything. Also have a good floor jack around to help with realigning everything. One day, no problem man you've got this!

·
on line
1,792 Posts
OK, I was obviously overridden on this one! It does sound like you can do it, the more the discussion shapes up. Good luck. I didn't mean to be discouraging. I guess I'm just imagining myself in the same situation, but as far as wrenching is concerned, I'm a rank beginner. (And it even sounds like I could do it.)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
As long as you understand righty tighty lefty loosy. Know the difference between a socket and a wrench. Know the difference between a nut and bolt. Know what a torque wrench is and how to use it.

You can do it without problem.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Dave I am going to schedule a PM just north of you in Irvington on Thursday morning if I can. After that I will head down to give you a hand.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The funny thing is that I can Wrench on Generators all the time and deal with all the electronics on a daily bases. BUT it's not my truck, So I get a little scared some times taking things apart on my own rig.

Too funny - I'll wrench on a half million $ Generator but get a little tweekie wrenching on my $25,000 Xterra.

Thanks for all the encouragement and I'll get this SL together on Thurs. I take some picks as I go along.

Um, Did I ask you guys if I should order the shims and have them as a just in case?
Greg said I shouldn't have a prob. with out them.

Later

DaveP

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Personally, I would get the shims and install them. If they are 3º it's not going to hurt even if you don't need them.

After going through my AC AAL issues over a year ago, I wouldn't install an AAL without shims in the X.

In theory, since you will be running aftermarket shackles too, you should not need the shims, but I also tried that and it didn't help.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Dave I sent you a PM. I will be in the area tomorrow. I have a customer appointment in the morning and should be done by 11am.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool

I just got back from OK4WD and got my U-bolts. They didn't have the right bolt size so I'll have to make the u-bolt plate holes bigger to fit the Rover U-bolts. Guys over there are pretty cool.

They are in Stewartsville, NJ near the PA boarder.

Later

DaveP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts