Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't spent a whole lot of time underneath my Xterra to know what hangs down and needs more protection than what. So... I am getting the lift in a few weeks. After that I am going to focus on armoring it up. First is going to be a set of sliders. I am curious, what skids should come next? What order should I put the skids on in? I won't have the money to do it all at once. I'll probably have enough to get the sliders and maybe two or 3 skid plates. Which ones should go on first?

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find where there is a front diff skid. Unless that is the same as the oil pan skid (looks like it covers the front diff).

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To do all of them at once would be just shy of $1,700 (after shipping and package discount). I just won't have that kind of money in the time that I am going to want to be going off road. That's without the sliders. Being on a tight budget sucks. So I'm going to have to buy it one piece at a time.

The $420 for the sliders (after shipping) is a bit much to me also, but they are pretty much needed. I am thinking about seeing if my cousin who works at a metal fabrication shop can get me some metal cheap and just making my own set. It's going to be kind of hard though when I won't have a set to compare them to. But... I may just see if one of you nice guys can take some detail pictures and maybe if some of you are nice you could provide me with some measurements as well. I'd love to support the company of Shrockworks but I also love making my own stuff like that (fabricating and whatnot). And it be cheaper.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
There are several posts about people making their own sliders; try a quick search. I checked my old post, but all my pictures have broken links as the upload site I used to use doesn't exist anymore; if I get a chance and I can find them, I'll try and upload them again. I really don't think there is anything you couldn't find out regarding sliders and dimensions that hasn't been covered already, or a few quick minutes with a tape measure would resolve. Good luck... post your results!

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RockyMtnX said:
There are several posts about people making their own sliders; try a quick search. I checked my old post, but all my pictures have broken links as the upload site I used to use doesn't exist anymore; if I get a chance and I can find them, I'll try and upload them again. I really don't think there is anything you couldn't find out regarding sliders and dimensions that hasn't been covered already, or a few quick minutes with a tape measure would resolve. Good luck... post your results!
I'd appreciate it greatly if you could find the pictures for me. I'm really up in the air about it. The cost of materials is going to be higher than I expected. So add in what I'm going to need plus extra incase I make a mistake in bending or cutting... plus the cost to have someone weld it up - I can weld, but with this I'm going to want someone who does it everyday to do it. I am looking more towards just buying a set. It's just going to take me a while to get fully skidded.

·
on line
360 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
yeah man, pics would be cool! My cousin is supposed to help fab some sliders and would be interesting to see a variant other than the Shrockworks ones (which we planned on basing them off of).

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Well, I based my design off the Shrocks, so nothing much different. Here are a few pics I found. Gerdo, Norshor, and a couple others have also made sliders... a search should reveal some pics.

·
on line
750 Posts
I vote skids..primarily the fuel tank which is the weakest link on the entire truck. Second would be radiator/engine then rear diff cover..the stocker is ridiculous.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Ricky, dumb question maybe, but you don't have an OR and thus stock skids, do you? Yes the stockers are inadequate, but they're not nothing.

People should identify their X in their sig or profile.

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
d-rap - No. I have an S

RockyMtnX - Thanks for the pictures. That's nice work. After seeing that, it makes me want to do my own.

·
on line
874 Posts
how much....and can you make them quiker than schrockworks?

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot how much the material is going to be. I left the price sheet at home (I'm at work). I can make them any weekend I'd have off. So yea.. quicker than Shrocks.

·
on line
254 Posts
RockyMtnX nice job on those, your tube bends look great.

Ricky I am holding out on Meathead sliders, he should have the jig ready soon and shouldn't take too long to make. They have 2 benefits that I’m looking for- the inner box provides more rocker protection from all the gravel kicked up and the outer box handles a lot easier with a Hi-Lift. His design is exactly what I've been thinking of.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts