Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the X just double checking all the torque on the bolts for my sliders and skids and I noticed that one of my engine skid blots was missing.

The red arrow points to the bolt that is MIA.

Now, I now that this bolt threaded into the crossbar and I did not use a nut when I installed it. Is it possible that the nut on the cross bar came un-welded and rattled away? I am not sure what to do to replace it.

Any ideas? Or has anyone seen this before?
:scratch:

·
on line
2,540 Posts
I haven't seen that on mine yet and I do check them from time to time. As far as replacing it, try removing the other front one and try to install it in the hole for the missing one. If it screws in, well you know the bolt is fine and maybe it just wasn't torqued down right. Then call Jim to get the type of bolt used and order a new one or hit up home depot for a replacment.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already tried to install a new bolt and it won't stick because there are no threads to screw in to. The threads are gone, which is what leaves me to believe the nut was welded to the inside of the cross bar and it came loose.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The nut very well could still be in there, just stripped out.

Take a paper clip, unfold it, bend the tip at a 90º, stick it up in the hole and see how much metal there is (use the hook to catch on the top of the nut if it's still there, or the top of the cross member. If it looks like you have a lot of meat, I would get a larger tap and retap the hole.

That paper clip thing may not make any sense to anyone else, but I know what I am thinking. :)

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may give that paper clip thing a try, but I will most likely have to retap the hole like Mark said and just coat the heck out of it with LocTite.

Thanks guys.

·
on line
807 Posts
The bolts Jim supplies for that at just barely long enough to thread in (at least mine are). It is a real PITA to get them in there because they literally only hold by 2 threads or so. I'd pull the bolt next to it, and just double check again, before you go taping the hole.

·
on line
1,059 Posts
I would try taking the skid off and trying the bolt first and see if it is in fact to short like mentioned. If it works then take a trip down to Lowe's or Home Depot and see if you can get one longer and use that. If not then you'll have to see if the welded on bolt is stripped out or not..

·
on line
1,059 Posts
That could be a good option, but if he ever has to take that skid off (for an emergency repair) then he'll be in a world of poo.

·
on line
853 Posts
I had the same thing happen a while back, but I don't think mine just fell out. Now there is just a hole there, but the other 3 bolts seem to be holding the plate on just fine. I poked around in the hole and can't seem to contact the threaded nut at all, but I may try the longer bolt idea one of these days. Does anyone remember the original bolt spec?

Close up:

·
on line
2,938 Posts
There is a hole in the middle of the cross member that you can get your finger in and see if you find the bolt. Mine broke and I just tacked a little welding rod onto a new bolt and fished it in.

Other option is to drill thru and use a set of washers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts