Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I need some more underbody protection because I've come pretty close to hitting some important things in recent runs. Since I've been saving up all year for new tires and won't have much to spend, I will probably have to make a choice between one skid or another.

I currently have Hefty rad and engine skids, and an OEM gas tank skid (and a Hefty gas skid sitting on the sidelines awaiting restoration). So my choice is between t-case and transmission - which one do I want to protect more?

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
So, I need some more underbody protection because I've come pretty close to hitting some important things in recent runs. Since I've been saving up all year for new tires and won't have much to spend, I will probably have to make a choice between one skid or another.

I currently have Hefty rad and engine skids, and an OEM gas tank skid (and a Hefty gas skid sitting on the sidelines awaiting restoration). So my choice is between t-case and transmission - which one do I want to protect more?
Super easy decision. T-Case! It hangs below the frame, the tranny does not. That T-case is easily snapped aluminum just trying to grab rocks and right at the Xterras breakaway point. Look at Mels thread for further persuasion.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Super easy decision. T-Case! It hangs below the frame, the tranny does not. Look at Mels thread for further persuasion.
Yeah what Surf said. Terrance, you should of known this by now though! Very disappointed in this thread.

Oh if you get the skid instead of 33's, you have a vagina. 33's will only help you. You gain ground clearance...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
33s. I went the 32 route and now I have been running my 33 MTs most of the summer and dread putting my 32s back on.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Honestly, if you want my opinion, I'd dip in to my tire savings fund and buy BOTH the transfer case and transmission skid and just save for an extra couple months for the tires.

As others have said, a bigger, more aggresive tread tire is equally important for offroading, but I'd rather protect that hard to fix crap, wheel a little easier for a few months and then buy 5 tires of your choosing and you'll be skidded on bigger tires. All set to go.

That's just my opinion though. For as much clunking and banging (not saying you do this, just an observation) as I see some people doing at rausch, skids and sliders should be number one.

Just to play devil's advocate though. I've been wheeling for a year or so with no transfer case skid. I can't mount it because of the way that the Gibson exhaust runs. I'm working on fixing it now, I just had some other stuff that had to be handled first. The riskiest trail I've run with that missing was Snakebite at Rausch Creek (Not sure what the color coding for it is, but it's a rocky trail with plenty of possible damage to the underside). Either way, what I'm getting at here is that with some care and good tire placement, you can mitigate the damage risk quite well.....however accidents DO happen.
If you only buy one skid, I personally would by the transmission skid. This is strictly a personal preference due to that pan being a wide open area and totally exposed. I have hit that far more than I have hit the transfer case area. I still say buy both though.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I think there is a few old threads with skid priority floating around somewhere but they appear to be hard to find...

My personal opinion for a truck going off road would be:
1. sliders
2. engine skid
3. Diff skid
4. Tires (because with 1-4 you can enjoy some great easy trails even in the winter)
5. rad skid

Past that it depends if you have a pro4x/offroad and if you are 6 speed or auto.

Auto non-pro4x: I would think it is transmission, transfer, and then gas. Although that big gas tank is hanging low and appears easy to gouge. I have a good gouge even with the pro4x skid.

Auto pro4x: the stock gas and transfer case skid is good enough for most easy to moderate trails so transmission skid would go to the top.

6 speed non-pro4: x I think gas or transfer case on top. The 6 speed transmission is tucked up pretty well because we don't have the extra pan.

6 speed pro4x: I would go transfer case, transmission, then gas.

Of course the best is order them all. :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I agree with Killswitch, get the skids. I'd rater take a hit on the T-case than the Rad, Oil pan or trans pan any day though. Those are all game over types of trail damage. I have some good dings in the Rad/Eng/trans skids while my uncovered T-case has some minor scratches at best.

I don't understand the logic of armoring from the middle out that I see from some guys here. The cast aluminum T-case will live through much more than the soda can thin pans or rad tank holding all of your vital fluids. The "protect the things that will hit first" method has served me well so far (Rad,Eng,trans,etc).

I love playing in the rocks and if you really spend some time on the trails you can get a pretty good feel for what part will contact on an obstacle and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My personal opinion for a truck going off road would be:
1. sliders
2. engine skid
3. Diff skid
4. Tires (because with 1-4 you can enjoy some great easy trails even in the winter)
5. rad skid

Auto non-pro4x: I would think it is transmission, transfer, and then gas. Although that big gas tank is hanging low and appears easy to gouge. I have a good gouge even with the pro4x skid.
So for us unlucky noobs with zero protection on a non-4x, would the order be?

1. Engine
2. Trans
3. Radiator
4. Gas Tank
5. T-case
6. Rear dif
7. Condoms and a coat hanger? (omit this one for the serious question).

I tweaked my stock step bars pretty good last wknd. BUT... They protected the rocker panels... Sliders for me seems like #8 for this order.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts