Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another post, my son-in-law had one of his catalytic converters stolen last week. While looking for possible deterrents I am wondering if there are any skid plates that cover the cats? Does a typical transmission skid plate cover enough of the exhaust system to slow someone down? I can't tell from the pictures but it looks too short.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I have a full set of Shrockworks skids, this photo is taken from their site.

Not sure that having them on there would really offer much additional protection, maybe the transmission makes it a little less convenient, but the decent ground clearance and easy access to the underside of the truck probably makes an Xterra a more appealing target than the average car.

You don't want something that bottles in the heat, so I don't think you'll find most skid plates to offer a lot of coverage over the cat or exhaust.

I'm sure one could put some cross bars in place that would make things less convenient, but if you've got a tweaker with a battery operated sawzall under there they'll probably find a way.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,310 Posts

Not sure that having them on there would really offer much additional protection, maybe the transmission makes it a little less convenient, but the decent ground clearance and easy access to the underside of the truck probably makes an Xterra a more appealing target than the average car.

You don't want something that bottles in the heat, so I don't think you'll find most skid plates to offer a lot of coverage over the cat or exhaust.

I'm sure one could put some cross bars in place that would make things less convenient, but if you've got a tweaker with a battery operated sawzall under there they'll probably find a way.
True but that is the secondary cats that aren't monitored. Looks like the primaries aren't visible. Maybe out of sight, out of mind?

·
Registered
91 Posts
True but that is the secondary cats that aren't monitored. Looks like the primaries aren't visible. Maybe out of sight, out of mind?
i cant imagine anyone could get to the primary cats on these trucks from underneath to steal them...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
@Bkazm did the thieves get his primary cats, or just secondary?

I'm assuming that's the ones a thief would grab because they want to get out of there fast. Are they going after the primaries on Xterras without skid plates? That'd be a lot more work I would think.

Apparently there are purpose made plates for cat security.

It's sad that that's even a thing.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
How does getting your secondary cats stolen make anything better? Nobody cares that they're not monitored when you try to go to work in the morning to find they're gone.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Option 1. Choose a high temp adhesive and glue four rebar strips onto the inlet and exhaust of your catalytic converter. Make sure the length of the rebar is long enough to cover beyond the areas a thief would most likely to make their cuts and make their efforts inconvenient. Your not going to keep a determined thief from stealing your property but with luck you can either slow their progress or deter them.

Option 2. Weld a chain or other device to your cats.

Option 3 . purchase a catalytic converter lock.

Last but not least, if this sort of theft is common in your area , speak with your insurance agent and confirm repairs are covered under your insurance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

It looks like the transmission skid would have helped in our case. The scumbag's cuts are shown in red. So the engine-side cuts would be more difficult with that piece of metal in the way. They could still cut through the skid (I think the shrock is 3/16") or remove it if they have the right tools. But it's probably not a 3 minute job anymore and that might encourage them to move on.

BTW, it will cost $500 to replace the cat. Seems a bit high since I can buy one from autozone for $200. But I don't have a lift and I'm not a welder. So if a $250 skid helps deter thefts I'm onboard. Plus it's an excuse to buy more skids. I don't know, what do you all think?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It might deter a future thief, so for that purpose it's probably a good choice.

FWIW for skid plate functionality (not theft deterrence) IMO the transmission skid is pretty far down the list of importance. Radiator and engine would be much higher because they are protecting more vulnerable bits, whereas the transmission one covers an area that's fairly well tucked up.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
^I'd agree with that. In fact, I've bought my skids one at a time over the years.... the trans skid is currently the only one i don't have because the trans is tucked up nicely.

How does getting your secondary cats stolen make anything better? Nobody cares that they're not monitored when you try to go to work in the morning to find they're gone.
In some areas, you could replace with a straight piece of pipe, or a cheap aftermarket cat... and the truck definitely won't know a difference. You can drive the loud truck without issue. I'd personally be at a muffler shop having a straight pipe welded in, or maybe order a high flow cat online for ~$130 and have a local shop weld it in.... rather than waiting on a dealer's backorder for the primaries.
If primaries are stolen, there's more concern over getting everything fixed RIGHT and quickly because it won't run right without them.
Not sure, but I wonder if some of the aftermarket exhaust systems replace everything after the primaries... making it a bolt on repair.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
You wouldn't want to cover those with skids - it could possibly get too hot in there and start a fire or something?

The chain idea is probably the best. Either a couple criss crossed over the area or something wrapped around - heavy truck chain - its high tensile strength, likely impossible to cut with a sawzall without securing it somehow, and leaves everything to breath. Not saying its perfect, but you just need to deter the would be thief to easier pickings.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Has anyone scraped a catalytic converter when crawling? Or is favoring the other side common practice?

any cat skid plates out there for other cars?

slits or holes would weaken it greatly, but it would be some protection even if not much.
bars instead of plate would breathe a lot better

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Has anyone scraped a catalytic converter when crawling? Or is favoring the other side common practice?

any cat skid plates out there for other cars?

slits or holes would weaken it greatly, but it would be some protection even if not much.
bars instead of plate would breathe a lot better
I always favor the other side. Never scraped one :D

There's cat specific skid plates being made (See post #5 above). Though they are really using the term "skid" loosely. It has nothing to do with skid usage, its just blocking them from view/easy access.

Many skid plates have holes or slits to let water/dirt/grim drain, or to access a drain plug on trans/engine/etc. Otherwise, you end up with a pan that holds a ton of junk. Or at the very least, condensation/water that'll rust them out.

·
TNX Veteran
4,579 Posts
Exhaust is pretty tucked. If you have a pointy rock going that far up into your truck you are likely in an area you probably shouldn't be. I'd be concerned about heat since the cats get especially warm in an exhaust.

To be fair, I did kill my exhaust once as I winched forward while my muffler was caught up against a rock. It tore off my exhaust from the downpipe. However, this was the muffler, which hangs a bit lower than the cats, & I definitely shouldn't have been there alone lol o_O

I'm torn on the solution. You could prepare for it, but did you just get really unlucky? Is it going to happen again? You could potentially spend a fair amount of money trying to prevent it. Idk. Personally I would probably chalk it up to "that sucks" and hope it was just a one time thing

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm torn on the solution. You could prepare for it, but did you just get really unlucky? Is it going to happen again? You could potentially spend a fair amount of money trying to prevent it. Idk. Personally I would probably chalk it up to "that sucks" and hope it was just a one time thing
I think $250's not bad for some peace of mind, but you're right - it was probably bad luck combined with an unwise parking spot. Now we go down the upgrade rabbit hole... "since we're shipping from shrockworks, what about an engine skid? Oh and we should replace the Pro4X gas tank skid with a real one...." and that $250 turns into $800 real fast.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Don’t forget the shipping cost.
once you start looking under the Xterra, you will want to protect all.
Only Offroad/Pro4X came with skids, is that right?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I bent my fuel tank skid, multiple times.
Engine oil skid is recommended by others.
Transmission never had one from factory.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts