Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Noob with a question :)

I know everyone here Shrocks their whole truck but I am wondering about the factory skids. I have an S model so I have zero protection now. I do want to wheel my rig but don't have the scratch for all the armor. Would I at least be better off getting some of the factory skids to protect my truck OR just stay off the trails until I can come up with the ton of $$$ to get Shrock armored?

Please be gentle, noob to the X and wheeling.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
All i had the first time i wheeld was a mild lift and sliders, some new tires, but even tires arent a must. Ive been with guys who wheeled with frigging street tires.

To answer your questions though............dirt36 wheels with only sliders and a gas tank skid. But i guess if you want full skids, and dont want to spend the money, something may be better than nothing. But all i hear people talk about is how flimsy those stock skids are. Maybe save some cash and just get sliders? Or keep an eye out on this forum and some others for buying peoples old skids, you may get a good deal.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
If you're worried about skids, I would save the money you're going to spend on the factory skids and order some sliders.

I'm with Campana on searching around for people's skids on here or ebay. Courtesy Nissan has a few skid plates for under 20 dollars. Anything is better than nothing but they are pretty cheap. I actually doubled up one at least two of them.

Good luck and welcome man.

·
on line
4,919 Posts
Some people have doubled up the stock skids until they can afford the shrock ones. Honestly, I wheeled my X w/out skids until recently when I could afford the Shrock ones. I had sliders and a Daystar lift and I was careful which line I took so that I wouldn't be getting belly hung on anything. Obviously, I wasn't doing any gnarly trails, but I could at least keep up with most of the guys I wheeled with.

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mc. I am saving for sliders but if I get them I wont have the $$ for skids and most folks have said sliders before skids so thats where the question came from.

Yes I too have wheeled with the crappy Long Trails and made it back home but wont do it again. Tires should be bought soon (again monies).

I dont know if I want to mess with lifting the truck. My last truck was lifted and I had nothing but issues with it so right now I am going to stay stock. I was amazed at the ground clearence the truck had offroad. Even the guys I was wheeling with said they have a new respect for the X.

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks XVT and Killjoy. Yea sliders are being saved for. Thats why I dont have the cash for the skids. I was thinking of maybe the radiator skid from Shrock for now.

Most of the trails here are dirt with a few rocks thrown in for good messure. Nothing gnarly at all. As I stated before I wheeled the X with the stock Long Trails on and macde it so gauge the trails by that.

Tires are being bought soon so at least I will have that.

·
on line
750 Posts
It all depends on how careful you wheel, IMO. I've run dozens of stock trucks and SUVs over some pretty hellacious ground without damaging them..all without any kind of armor. Skids and Sliders pretty much say you are intending to wheel over boulders and or planning on pushing the envelope of the vehicle, which to some, would represent an extreme.

For wheeling over modest to rough trails, a good set of tires is your initial best bet. I have put skids on mine for a little peace of mind, but then I never exactly know what I will be getting into when driving to a job site.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
I can agree with some of your points Bio, one being that larger tires are your biggest asset.

We all have to remember that suspension lifts give us the room to install larger tires, which is the only true way to get your truck higher.

As for the skids, the OR model skids will obviously offer more protection than no skids, but they are flimsy and come no where close to the protect from a Shrock or Skid Row skid.

The addition of skids and sliders do not mean one is extreme, but that one wants more protection from a possible damaging accident. A green trail can become a danger too, if not wheeled safely.

Save your $$$ for the Shrocks skids and sliders.

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks. I guess for now I will get my tires then sliders and go easy until I save for real skids. Any skid better then another? IE rad skid first then gas tank or save and get all at once?

I am a noob to wheeling also so I go very easy as it is.

Plus this is my only vehicle so I need to be able to wheel sunday and work monday so not really going to push it anyways. I just want the pece of mind if I did go over a boulder or ledge or snag a stump in a water crossing that I wont be stuck having to repair the rig

·
on line
360 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat as you, Bonedog.. new truck and new to wheeling. One thing I've learned (in my mere 5 or so outings :) ) is that the stock (well, with upgraded tires) xterra is EXTREMELY competent off road. IMO, tires and a rear recovery point will have more of an immediate payoff than the sliders and skids. I've only been in one situation so far where the lack of sliders prevented me from continuing on a trail. Granted, sliders and skids are the next mods on my "to-buy" list, but I wouldn't let their absence prevent you from enjoying the trails (assuming you're taking cautious lines and have an experienced spotter(s) on hand to keep ya out of trouble).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts