Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to pick a new head unit, and as we all know there's A LOT more selection as far as single DIN's go. Can anyone recommend a good adapter for that dash pocket (or whatever it's called)... I guess what I'm asking is if the one that comes free from Crutchfield crap? After looking thru the pics of stereo setups here, looks like there are several different ones. Seems like I read somewhere that there is an OEM part for this? Someone please enlighten me here.... thanks in advance!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
11 Posts
I have the one from crutchfield on its way with my new HU and it looks pretty crappy. If you read the reviews of it on there site the majority of the customers have frontiers or xterras and didnt seem to pleased with it. I almost purchased the one from CarDomain which is a scosche and looks to be better quality but the bin under the HU is smaller. I ended just deciding to install the one that comes from crutchfield and if it sucks ill buy the one from CarDomain or Bestbuy which is a american International. If you like i can let you know how big or little it sucks when I get it in.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
i'm not too thrilled with mine from tweeter....but i'm covering it up when i install the sat. radio receiver i have...

i actually ran into a problem with the plastic border that goes around the faceplate on my alpine, it was too thick and prevented the dash from sitting back into position....despite two hours of cutting and sanding plastic off the dash and the border in 20 some degree weather i decided it really wasn't worth it and ditched the border, so now there are little opening all around my headunit...when i have time i'm going to fab up a flat border to put around it.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brownnecktie79 said:
I have the one from crutchfield on its way with my new HU and it looks pretty crappy. If you read the reviews of it on there site the majority of the customers have frontiers or xterras and didnt seem to pleased with it. I almost purchased the one from CarDomain which is a scosche and looks to be better quality but the bin under the HU is smaller. I ended just deciding to install the one that comes from crutchfield and if it sucks ill buy the one from CarDomain or Bestbuy which is a american International. If you like i can let you know how big or little it sucks when I get it in.
Yes, let me know what you think when you get it.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
30 Posts
i picked up a Sony GT-510 from CircuitCIty and the single DIN face plate has a smallish pocket - to small for my MP3 player - and the face plate does look unfinished/ crappy.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
11 Posts
Well bret the stereo is in sounds awesome with just the HU. The Din Bin went in fine with no problems qaulity is decent. Its the one from Crutchfield made by metra. the only thing that sucks are the little slots that hold cd cases take up a lot of bin storage. if you do use this din kit just make sure you install the face trim on the bin and HU before you put the dash back together. I think thats where the bad reviews of it not fitting right came from. hope this helps
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brownnecktie79 said:
Well bret the stereo is in sounds awesome with just the HU. The Din Bin went in fine with no problems qaulity is decent. Its the one from Crutchfield made by metra. the only thing that sucks are the little slots that hold cd cases take up a lot of bin storage. if you do use this din kit just make sure you install the face trim on the bin and HU before you put the dash back together. I think thats where the bad reviews of it not fitting right came from. hope this helps
Which HU did you go with? And you still have the stock speakers?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
11 Posts
Still have the stock speakers and they sound so much better I will replace the stock speakers in a month or so when i get some cash.

Pioneer DEH-P7800MP
Pioneer CD-IB100ii iPod® Interface Adapter
Pioneer SIR-PNR2 Sirius Tuner
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brownnecktie79 said:
Still have the stock speakers and they sound so much better I will replace the stock speakers in a month or so when i get some cash.

Pioneer DEH-P7800MP
Pioneer CD-IB100ii iPod® Interface Adapter
Pioneer SIR-PNR2 Sirius Tuner
Nice looking HU. Will it show both the artist and title from the sat tuner? Can you post a pic of your install?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
11 Posts
I havent activated the sirius yet But with the ipod it allows you to see title and artist and the manual says you can display both. It would be a little of a pain if you had more than 500 songs on your ipod just because it slows the navigation. I have a ipod nano hooked up to it and works very well. The only complaint is the control knob on the HU is a little small for my big fingers. I will try to get some pics of it this weekend. there are pics of this Headunit on this web site. look in the post posts of your stereo setup at the top in electrical. I went with this HU over the Alpine 9857 because this unit gives you a lot more control of the sound coming out. very happy over all with just doing a trip to the coast today
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
i just installed a single din pioneer today. I didn't mind the cubby hole pocket thing crutchfield sent. I thought it worked just fine. I even drilled a hole in the back of it to run my ipod cable through.

I like the two line display on the pioneer, the alpine I compared it to at the same cost didn't have two line display, no remote, and less power.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top