Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is it the rear mounting foot? If so, it's not too hard to drop just the rear corner of the headliner and get those tightened up.
Yep. The mids are a touch loose too, but the rears are the issue.
I haven't noticed any leaking or anything (but I'm a little worried it might start), so I'm not going to tackle it right now. I went ahead and bolted the rack on to test for a few days.

In the near future I'm going to pull some trim around the rear hatch to do some wiring for lighting anyway, so I'll probably tackle it then.

Just thought it was odd that they got that loose on their own, with no real use.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
First off, I have NO experience here... just thinking out loud....
If the rivnut spun... doesn't that mean its NOT loose? Sounds like maybe the rivnut was sloppy in the roof, or there's play from something wallowing out in the rack mounting feet.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
First off, I have NO experience here... just thinking out loud....
If the rivnut spun... doesn't that mean its NOT loose? Sounds like maybe the rivnut was sloppy in the roof, or there's play from something wallowing out in the rack mounting feet.
You'd think... But a couple of the bolts visibly don't look tightened down all the way.
I guess it could be that something like a bushing or spacer rotted (I don't really know what the hardware looks like under the plastic feet) but on the surface that doesn't appear to be the case.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Have one or two small changes I’m going to make, but overall, it’s exactly what I needed.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Grille
Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Tire Automotive carrying rack Car

21 - 24 of 24 Posts