Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I’d put this here in case anyone else needs ideas.

I’m not a big fan of putting weight on the roof, or adding wind resistance, but I needed a place for some recovery tracks, a better mount for the awning, and a little more dry storage. So, I’m fab’ing up a simple rack. The dry storage is a Pelican Vault V700. It will be bolted to the rack. It only sticks up a couple of inches past the factory rack.

I wanted the rack as close to the roof as reasonably possible, and as light as possible.

Still a work in progress, I’ll update with a photo when done.
Land vehicle Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's exactly the goals and configuration I have been thinking about. Traction boards and some storage without killing my little mpgs. I like it!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks good! I like how low profile it all is!
Thanks, that was the goal.
But it's amazing how much space there is in the V700 Pelican. Shovel, two bag chairs, 30' recovery strap, Viair compressor, 5 ratchet straps, 180' dynamic rope, pair of hiking boots ... no problem.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Thanks, that was the goal.
But it's amazing how much space there is in the V700 Pelican. Shovel, two bag chairs, 30' recovery strap, Viair compressor, 5 ratchet straps, 180' dynamic rope, pair of hiking boots ... no problem.

wow thats surprising, I have a square/ rectangular plano case i use for tool and trail spares, and i didnt think that the one you have mounted would hold even just that stuff, but it sounds like im way off. care to share how much that v700 was? I know those high quality cases can be pricey. which is the only reason i havent got one yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thought I’d put this here in case anyone else needs ideas.

I’m not a big fan of putting weight on the roof, or adding wind resistance, but I needed a place for some recovery tracks, a better mount for the awning, and a little more dry storage. So, I’m fab’ing up a simple rack. The dry storage is a Pelican Vault V700. It will be bolted to the rack. It only sticks up a couple of inches past the factory rack.

I wanted the rack as close to the roof as reasonably possible, and as light as possible.

Still a work in progress, I’ll update with a photo when done.
View attachment 139417 View attachment 139418 View attachment 139419
How did you secure the Pelican case? Looks like a great solution...and are those the McMaster Ubolts?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you secure the Pelican case? Looks like a great solution...and are those the McMaster Ubolts?
I’ve changed it a little since the photos. The box sits on threaded brackets, and has a stainless 1/4-20 bolt with a rubber washer in each corner, installed from inside (cannot be un-mounted without access to the inside).

Yep, McMaster’s.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow thats surprising, I have a square/ rectangular plano case i use for tool and trail spares, and i didnt think that the one you have mounted would hold even just that stuff, but it sounds like im way off. care to share how much that v700 was? I know those high quality cases can be pricey. which is the only reason i havent got one yet.
The Vault series is their more “affordable” series, and just so happens that particular case and size fits this application very well. Even if I wanted a more expensive case, the sizes and configurations aren’t as good. I got it from a distributor, but I believe that case retails for about $140.

This was just chunking some stuff in unorganized. That’s a 28” 2.5lb axe. With some organization, I can fit more.
Product Luggage and bags Bag Baggage Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Wow very clean and low profile look. This would be an awesome method to keep my fishing poles and tackle up there out of the way instead of in the trunk. Good job Sir and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Nice work. That box is a great size. I wish I could find something a little lighter duty (less expensive) with similar dimensions. It looks like it would fit nicely on mine.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the current trial for the box mount, to get it as low as possible and be as light as possible. It sits down in the frame on the tabs.

I’m a little worried the bottom of the box isn’t rigid enough for this setup (with no rack support under it, but I’m going to try it. I think if you don’t center load the box with much weight it won’t be a problem.
Wood Road surface Automotive exterior Flooring Floor

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Threw some paint on it to try it for a little while. I think everything’s laid out about right, but going to put it on and see how everything rides, etc.
Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory Electric blue Metal City

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well…. I started to mount it to the bars and realized the factory bars are loose where the plastic meets the roof?? I’ve never even really used them, and I don’t remember ever reading about them just coming loose on their own?

I checked one bolt to see if I could snug it up, and of course the rivnut spun immediately. Awesome. Not going down the headliner removal trail right now, so I’m not sure if I’m going to mount the rack or not.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Is it the rear mounting foot? If so, it's not too hard to drop just the rear corner of the headliner and get those tightened up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts