Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT:
This thread was originally started Nov 19, 2006 and was titled "ideas for a portable 'cooking table'?".
Here's what my original posting said:
==============================================
I used to own a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder:

One thing I found useful was a simple 'table' that I made.
All it consisted of was a piece of plywood, a couple of pieces of chain with hooks, and a couple of nails. The plywood sat on the inside of the open tire carrier gate, and was held up by the pieces of chain with a nail through each piece, under the hole in the front of the piece of plywood:

Has anyone got any "great ideas" for a simple portable table for use with the Xterra?
==============================================

Well, now I've made my Xterra version of my original table :)

Materials:
- 3/4" plywood, 30"x32"
- 10" foam pipe insulation
- 13 feet of soft rope
- 6 feet of metal chain
- 2 hooks to attach to chain
- 2 nails

Construction:
The 30" dimension is the width of the table. Decide on which edge of the plywood will be the front edge. Cut a 5"x10" piece out of each back corner, with the 5" being from the width. This leaves a piece of plywood with a 30"x22" table surface, and a 20"x10" 'tongue'. You may need to adjust the dimensions if you have a lifted Xterra.

About 1" from the front two corners, drill a hole that is just large enough to allow the chain to pass through. Optionally, add a cutout at the back edge of the 'tongue' to make the plywood easy to carry. Sand all the edges of the plywood. Optionally paint the plywood to make cleanup of cooking spills easier.

Cut the foam pipe insulation into two 5" pieces, and put them over the 5" edges of the plywood next to the 'tongue'.

Cut the rope into two 6.5 foot pieces. Take 10" at each end of each piece of rope, fold it in half, and tie a knot, forming a loop at each end of the rope.

Cut the chain in half. Attach a hook to one end of each piece of chain.

The nails should be 2 or more inches long, and the shaft needs to fit through the links in the chain.

Installation
Loop the two pieces of rope around the Xterra roof rack bars, in the area above the rear wheel. I suggest doing this on the side of the vehicle opposite the fuel tank filler door.

Put the hook for each chain through one pair of the rope loops.

With the two nails handy, lift the plywood and put the 'tongue' on top of the rear wheel, and slide the plywood inwards so that the foam insulation is against the Xterra's body.

Holding the plywood roughly level, put one of the chains through one of the holes at the front of the plywood, and hold it in place with one of the nails, slid through the chain from below the plywood. Repeat for the other chain.

You can now adjust the table to make it level. For side-to-side adjustments you can slide the plywood forward or backward on the wheel as needed while tilting the plywood to make it level. For front-to-back adjustments you can move the nails up or down one or both chains.

Chains attached to the ropes, and plywood with insulation ready to be lifted into place:

The nails through the chains support the front edge of the table:

The table installed. The ropes won't scratch the body or roof rack, and the chains won't catch fire if there are any flareups from the cooking.

You can put the insulation, rope, chains with hooks, and nails together in a small bag, or plastic jar, or box, for storage, and when you need to take the table on a trip, just grab the piece of plywood and the 'other stuff'.

The plywood fits easily in the cargo area, under whatever else is being taken on the trip. The plywood can also be used as a base for jacking if the ground is soft.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Well, if you get a shrock rear bumper with tire carrier you could do the same thing...

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Looks like he is cooking some mushrooms.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Syndicate said:
Dude, what were you cooking?
The pot contains some rice that was just cooked, the frypan is cooking some Morel mushrooms, and once they are almost done they go on top of the pot to stay warm while I use the frypan to cook a steak. Then it's time for the camp chair and a nice dinner, along with some wine :)

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Wow man, that's a pretty sweet camp dinner. Every time I "car camp" I always still forget to get fancy with the cooking. For some reason I just compulsively throw together some hotdogs or something.

Patton, that's a bitchin stove btw.
________
Threesome movie

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Hey you guys need to get---

--Sportsmanguide-pt #E615E-0100292-000-000--

--you can't get no better--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JIMBO said:
:clown: Hey you guys need to get---

--Sportsmanguide-pt #E615E-0100292-000-000--
You mean the Guide Gearâ„¢ Camp Kitchen

Thanks for the idea - maybe I can find something similar up here.
That particular option won't work for me, both because it's too big for my needs, and the pantry isn't something I'd use, as almost anywhere I go is considered bear country.

·
on line
95 Posts
We've got one of these http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-table.htm

Works great, rolls up so that it is as small as one of those folding chairs (long tube type). We also have one similar to this that folds up like and accordian but its not as stable, this ones the nicest we've seen.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
The pot contains some rice that was just cooked, the frypan is cooking some Morel mushrooms, and once they are almost done they go on top of the pot to stay warm while I use the frypan to cook a steak. Then it's time for the camp chair and a nice dinner, along with some wine :)

Here in the states Cabelas offers a few camp kitchen options.. Storage for your pots/pans, sundries, etc. A few come with a basin for a sink. I think what you had for the Pathy was a fine solution for the stove, and coupled w/ a roll-away table and chairs, you'd be set.

BOB'S YOUR UNCLE

·
on line
15,651 Posts
My MSR Whisperlite International is all I need when camp cooking. Runs on just about any liquid fuel (white gas, gasoline, diesel, kerosene).

Now, it won't cook me a steak, but I usually don't camp with steak. :)

·
on line
237 Posts
dpatton...how old is that fricken stove??? Eatons? When did they go outa business? And that goldish tank? I used to have a goldish tank on my coleman, but that tank was from the 50's (it was my grandparents). All that being said, they'll work forever if you take care of them. My dad recently ordered parts for his 20yr old coleman...couldn't fine the parts anywhere, so he called coleman and they're sending them to him...covered by warranty.

Yer setup for the pathy only gives me more reason to buy the shrock rear bumper.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
muzikman said:
My MSR Whisperlite International is all I need when camp cooking. Runs on just about any liquid fuel (white gas, gasoline, diesel, kerosene).

Now, it won't cook me a steak, but I usually don't camp with steak. :)
Same here, I have the dragonfly though, and you can whip up some mighty good food on it. You just have to be good with one burner. It also sips the fuel.

I do like the above set up and would be nice if someone figures out how to do something like that on the X with out a schrock.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've updated my first posting in this thread with the info on my Xterra version of my original table.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Now that is a table... You can use that on many trips... Simple use of ply wood & rope.. no scratches... can add a wind barrier on the sides too.

too bad could not use the cooker on fuel side.. would help when wind is blowing.

one safety added thought... Place Car key on rope, near cooker.. OR something in the steering wheel to INDICATE TABLE IS ATTACHED!!!.

the DUMB STICKER.. would sure make a mess if you drive with it attached.

going to make one now. wow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts