Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything Was going too well...I knew Something was gonna" happen.. Got the rear shackles on...PITA! Used the AC shackles,( which by the way are about 1/2 " bigger than the daystar shackles)

Un did the upper ball joint ,whacked it a few times and dropped right out, the spacer fits perfect,but unlike the last spacer on my 2wd from e-bay..You must remove entire strut to 'Reinstall at a 180 degree turn) so holes on spacer and strut tower line up...Simple enough..Except CANNOT BUDGE THE BOTTOM #$%%$# bolt that holds strut on the bottom..Tried everything and looks like a partial bolt strip now... The ones on my other truck broke right loose.. Had to put everything back together to go to a shop to break the bolt loose..And when i hooked up the upper ball joint i cross threaded and its wasted.. have to order a new ball joint..tried thread fixer tool,etc.etc..no luck..

called the stealership and was informed i have to get THE ENTIRE ARM with the ball joint and they cant have it for a week!!

Anybody else have a problem with that Bottom strut bolt?? Any experience with Upper ball joint replace??
need some input..

·
on line
204 Posts
where are you located? i have the stock upper control arms. which side balljoint did you cross thread? if you messed up the drivers side you'll have to cut one of the bolts on the uca because the steering shaft gets in the way (its easier to cut the bolt than to take apart your steering)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah man, see if you can find someone who bought the TC UCA's and might sell you the stock uppers they have.

I took my shocks off with no problem. I honestly can't remember what I used, but I don't do any work on a vehicle without a breaker bar handy. If you don't have a bar, use a 3/4" drive ratchet and a 2' piece of pipe. I suggest craftsman ratchets if you are going that route as you will eventually strip out the gears.

·
on line
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys..i am in Boca raton ,and of course nit was the driver side..What a bitch,,stripped my craftsmans rachet ,and used a piece of pipe..WONT $%#%^ budge..I guess some robot at the factory had a resentment and took it out on that bolt..

Will a sawzall work to cut bolt out???

·
on line
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way,how do you tighten the ball joint nut without the whole bolt spinning??

·
on line
735 Posts
You install ball joint hardware with an impact gun. the mass of the ball stud combined with a little tension from a screwdriver wedged just right will keep it from spinning while the hammer blows from the air impact warp speed the nut down on the threads. no f'in way you are going to do it by hand.

·
on line
8 Posts
My personal rule of thumb is to loosen anything out side the cab with an air tool, use and air tool to tighten too, then use a torque wrench to torque to specs. If you don't have air tools I think I saw a 18V cordless impact gun at Pepboys the other day, and a corded electric impact gun sold under the Michellin (sp?) brand there as well. If I remember correctly both are in the $80-90 range. I have never used any electric impact guns although the cordless one peaks my interest for on the road/trail use.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts