Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might sound lazy as hell, but I really do not feel like taking off the wheels in order to paint them. I know duplicolor makes a bedliner in a gallon for painting instead of a spray can. My question is, would I not be able to brush it on the wheel instead of spraying it on? Would the results be the same? I would obviously sand the wheels down and do all of the prep prior to painting, but I could do all that while the wheels are on the car. What do you guys think, am I crazy?

·
on line
527 Posts
Crazy and LAZY!!!

I have not done this MOD yet... BUT...

When I do this, I do not want to ruin my wheels and have them look like crap!!!

Also you would have to worry about the Nissan Emblem on the center cap...

Just my measly 2 cents... not that it's worth that much anyway!!!

·
on line
707 Posts
From one lazy person(who has done this) to another: Yank em and spray em!
IMO you would have to be so careful painting it that it would take just as long or longer, not to mention removing the center cap nissan emblem. The only real tedious part of this mod is masking the wheels off but it wasn't that bad.

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaha, I knew I would get lauged at, but I figured it was worth asking. I completely forgot about the nissan cap also, so yeah, I guess when it comes time, I will have to take them off.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Coming from me, who wrote the "how to" on this project. Do not save energy by keeping the wheels on. I can almost guarantee a negative outcome if you try to paint the wheels still on your truck. :rant:

Don't be lazy, take em off, do it right.

You'll be so happy with the outcome if you do it by the book. Trust me. :thumbleft:

·
on line
2,004 Posts
I got an idea, how about we start a how not to topic here. and we can write in how not to do work on the X. you can start by painting your tires with them on, and then being the first one to write up on the topic

·
on line
707 Posts
SeXterraPA said:
Coming from me, who wrote the "how to" on this project. Do not save energy by keeping the wheels on. I can almost guarantee a negative outcome if you try to paint the wheels still on your truck. :rant:

Don't be lazy, take em off, do it right.

You'll be so happy with the outcome if you do it by the book. Trust me. :thumbleft:
From experience if you follow his how to closely you will end up with awesome results!

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Webfur said:
I got an idea, how about we start a how not to topic here. and we can write in how not to do work on the X. you can start by painting your tires with them on, and then being the first one to write up on the topic
wow, thanks for the sarcasm. I guess I can start a "how not to post a reply and be an ass" topic and you can write the how to on that

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
malakia12 said:
Webfur said:
wow, thanks for the sarcasm. I guess I can start a "how not to post a reply and be an ass" topic and you can write the how to on that
I agree with you man, I was just trying to help you, not be rude.

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SeXterraPA said:
malakia12 said:
Webfur said:
I agree with you man, I was just trying to help you, not be rude.
I know man, I actually read your how-to on the stealth wheels like 10 times just to see exactly what you did and it is an awesome write up. I just had an honest question that I wanted to ask, but some people I guess are too cool to reply normally to a question.

·
on line
432 Posts
The short answer: I'm somewhat lazy as well and not really good with mechanical things. I took them off and even sanded longer than required and it wasn't hard. The outcome is just amazing for the lack of money and work it takes.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
RussellB said:
The short answer: I'm somewhat lazy as well and not really good with mechanical things. I took them off and even sanded longer than required and it wasn't hard. The outcome is just amazing for the lack of money and work it takes.
ditto!

one issue you might have by just brushing on the bedliner is getting an even coat on there. If you don't do it perfectly, the wheel could possibly be unbalanced. thats just asking for trouble.

it is a pain to take them off, but it is cheap and easy after that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts