Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first post so please bear with me! I am trying to remove my OEM side steps from my '13 Pro 4x so that I can repaint them. I've found threads on how to get them off of the vehicle but does anyone know if the flat, black textured pieces come off? They have screws in them but no matter how much I turn them they won't budge?

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
328 Posts
Hello! This is my first post so please bear with me! I am trying to remove my OEM side steps from my '13 Pro 4x so that I can repaint them. I've found threads on how to get them off of the vehicle but does anyone know if the flat, black textured pieces come off? They have screws in them but no matter how much I turn them they won't budge?
The black plastic pieces are supposed to come off but it sounds like the nutserts used are spinning

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The black plastic pieces are supposed to come off but it sounds like the nutserts used are spinning
After I posted I was able to remove the black end caps to see into the steps. It looked like what I would call "nutserts" though I've never heard that description. I'm debating finding a way to remove them or simply covering the plastics and painting around it

·
TNX Veteran
4,156 Posts
After I posted I was able to remove the black end caps to see into the steps. It looked like what I would call "nutserts" though I've never heard that description. I'm debating finding a way to remove them or simply covering the plastics and painting around it
Your best bet is probably going to be to tape them off and spray around it. Nutserts are a pain to remove. You would have to grab with a really long pliers or drill them out. Gonna be easier to get some tape + newspaper (or maybe just 2 long strips of wide painters tape) and call it good

·
Registered
204 Posts
Once you get them off stand back and look at it, walk around it, go inside have a drink come back out and walk around it again, you may decide like many of us have you like it better, unless you have a serious need for them.

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
328 Posts
Honestly if you plan on doing any serious wheeling just take them off if you need them for a step and plan to do serious wheeling invest in a set of sliders. I somehow managed to go 2 years before I mangled my oem steps on a rock took them off and went without till I got a set of sliders about a month ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Much easier to take off the brackets with them. Just some nuts on threaded post coming out of the underbody.

But I second the "leave them off" guys. I ripped them off on a trail and never considered replacing them.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Sometimes my wife complains that its hard to get in my truck.. secretly I smile inside.. while suggesting that i carry around a small stool for her to use!

Somehow she doesnt find that as funny as i do!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts