Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bashed my passenger side mirror into a mailbox today and have to replace it. Rock Auto sells a TYC replacement brand for $37.00. Any opinions on this brand or replacement suggestions. I just want to make sure it matches the drivers side as far as texture and quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the TYC mirror from Rockauto for my wife (2 years ago) when she drove our Xterra and ripped off the mirror backing out of our garage. It worked fine for her, never complaining. However, now that I drive the X, I have noticed the quality on at least the one I received isn't the best. The texture and finish match OE (Not sure if TYC makes the OE anyways or not) but that mirror glass vibrates quite a bit compared to the original on the driver side.

All that said, for $37 if it bothered me enough I would just order the same thing again for the cost.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the TYC mirror from Rockauto for my wife (2 years ago) when she drove our Xterra and ripped off the mirror backing out of our garage. It worked fine for her, never complaining. However, now that I drive the X, I have noticed the quality on at least the one I received isn't the best. The texture and finish match OE (Not sure if TYC makes the OE anyways or not) but that mirror glass vibrates quite a bit compared to the original on the driver side.

All that said, for $37 if it bothered me enough I would just order the same thing again for the cost.
The housing is the most important thing to me. I just don't want cheap plastic that looks different or turns white. After all... the mirrors are the only thing on my 2007 that doesn't suffer from color fade. My original glass/mirror and electronics are good to go. Would you say that the ABS housing looks OE? Past that I'm sold. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X 6MT
51 Posts
Find an OE from a junkyard. Someone took mine out and their insurance bought a Dorman from Rockauto. It matches but it shakes at highway speeds when my Xterra has no shake to it at all. The build quality isn’t there in aftermarket. Feels cheap.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find an OE from a junkyard. Someone took mine out and their insurance bought a Dorman from Rockauto. It matches but it shakes at highway speeds when my Xterra has no shake to it at all. The build quality isn’t there in aftermarket. Feels cheap.
Question about the cosmetics of the housing and the vibration. The actual mirror and electronics/internals of mine are still good. The housing is what took the beating. Just wondering what was shaking and the OE look of the aftermarket in this case. Regardless I will still probably go the junk yard route. The mirrors seem to be the one thing on the X that don't fade.

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X 6MT
51 Posts
Question about the cosmetics of the housing and the vibration. The actual mirror and electronics/internals of mine are still good. The housing is what took the beating. Just wondering what was shaking and the OE look of the aftermarket in this case. Regardless I will still probably go the junk yard route. The mirrors seem to be the one thing on the X that don't fade.
It was a perfect match but the whole housing would shake at highway speeds though. You can just feel the lack of build quality when folding in the mirror in by hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The housing is the most important thing to me. I just don't want cheap plastic that looks different or turns white. After all... the mirrors are the only thing on my 2007 that doesn't suffer from color fade. My original glass/mirror and electronics are good to go. Would you say that the ABS housing looks OE? Past that I'm sold. Thanks ;)

Yes, and I have experienced no fade thus far. I just walked outside to get you a picture but realized my mirrors are dirt/salt covered now, but hopefully it is helpful to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that! I have not ordered anything nor visited the salvage yard yet. I've been killed for the last few days. I think I will try the salvage yard first and use aftermarket as my second option. That seems to be the consensus here.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have read that some people on the forum have replaced their side view mirrors with ones from a Pathfinder which includes the heated side view mirror option. It would then be wired into the truck to become functional. I am thinking of doing the same. Best of all it would then be considered OEM because the Pathfinder is basically a luxury Xterra.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts