Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
on line
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Nissan fix the problem with side airbags going off when off-roading? Like when you get on a side incline they were going off when they first put them in the X's.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Don't think they "fixed" anything. It's considered a safety feature so they probably would prefer to have them go of 9 times offroad and once on road and safe a life. Or there would be lawsuits.

There are some people who just pull the plugs (yellow one) under the drivers and passenger seat to disable the air bag sensors then plug them back in and reset the system at the end of the trail:

For informational purposes:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931&highlight=airbag+reset

1. Put key in. Turn the key to ON position and watch the airbag light turn on solid (not blinking).
2. As soon as it starts blinking, turn the key off within one second.
3. Take key out
4. Repeat steps 1 -3 three more times
5. On your fourth time turn the key and start the truck - the light will go on and turn off , for good within a few seconds

Sometimes you need to repeat if it doesn't work the first time.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Like mentioned pull the yellow harness under the passenger seat, $4000+ to fix damages, a fight between Nissan and your insurance, and risk of burns/injuries to yourself and co-pilots/family members if they go off is not worth taking the chance of leaving it in.

I know its rare but myself and others have seen them go off in fairly tame offroad settings.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Knowing what I know about insurance claims and insurance companies, you are so ****ed if you disable that and get into an accident where it should have deployed.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'm just sharing an option, they should ALWAYS be on when you're on the road. You don't need to know much about insurance to know that if you bypass a safety feature and have an accident you're up the proverbial creek.

Given how many people wheel the X and the trails that are done airbag deployment is pretty rare. I believe they are more shock activated than purely angle triggered. If you bump the truck while at the right (or wrong depending on how you look at it) angle and speed you can set them off. That's what happened last year when we were out. Three trucks took what seemed like the same line, one deployed the airbags, just dumb luck and a slip/bump at the wrong time.

If they were too sensitive everyone in Moab would have set them off based on the inclines that were driven.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh great, just what I needed, ANOTHER excuse for the wife to freak out when off road.:rant: I'm telling you, if the air bags deployed while off-road, she would have a heart attack! THEN she would yell at me like it's all my fault and demand we get back on pavement immediately! :rulez:

This Moab trip may be a bit stressful... :iconbiggrin:

I'll be constantly waiting for the bang, followed by the BANG!

Maybe I will just leave her in camp...:drink:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Its not a fun experience, mine is the one that went off while wheeling with humz and Xterra_Brit. The airbag hit me in the back of my head knocking me out for a split second and it hit my girlfriends arm leaving her with a bit of bruising and a slight burn. My insurance did cover the repairs but it took 4 trips to the dealer to get everything fixed back to what it was like prior to them going off. For how little time it takes to unplug the sensors and reset the light after, it's much less of a pain in the a55 then fighting with insurance and Nissan to get the damage fixed not too mention the potential injures that could happen.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts

Well My airbags just went off. . I was on a 4x4 road, going around 5 mile an hour. I was on a DIRT ROAD, with very small rocks. Nothing a Prius couldn't handle. Well maybe not a Prius. I have been on rougher roads many times before this trip.
The side airbags went off, and knocked me silly for a few seconds. Luckily I wasnt going to fast, and I took my foot off the gas. Im also glad the airbags didnt hit one of my dogs in the backseat.
Im taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I doubt they will fix it. After reading threads on this subject, im not sure if I would want them fixed.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Don't think they "fixed" anything. It's considered a safety feature so they probably would prefer to have them go of 9 times offroad and once on road and safe a life. Or there would be lawsuits.

There are some people who just pull the plugs (yellow one) under the drivers and passenger seat to disable the air bag sensors then plug them back in and reset the system at the end of the trail:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931&highlight=airbag+reset

1. Put key in. Turn the key to ON position and watch the airbag light turn on solid (not blinking).
2. As SOON as it starts blinking, turn the key off within one second.
3. Take key out
4. Repeat steps 1 -3 three more times
5. On your fourth time turn the key and start the truck - the light will go on and turn off , for good within a few seconds

Sometimes you need to repeat if it doesn't work the first time.
kinda stupid to take it off, even when off-roading, or esp when off roading even, when the vehicle is more likely to roll.....say down the side of a mountain or where ever

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Well that all depends where you're off-road, and it's entirely a judgement call based on the potential risks that you have to make for yourself (yes, that means take responsibility for your own actions and don't turn round and blame someone else because you read something online).

I just posted that as information, take it or leave it, I don't give a rats.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts