Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my daughter's 05 2wd Xterra. She informed me that something felt wrong when driving it so I checked it out. I took it for a drive and noticed it shutters once it is in overdrive. I tried each individual gear and OD is the only one that has this problem.

I've already bypassed the radiator cooler, flushed the radiator(it needed it badly). I also did the PMF(Thanks Rook!). The fluid was dark brown and had the burnt smell. I never saw any sign of SMOD. I took it for a drive after the PMF and it shuttered once.

I've searched several threads and haven't found an exact match to my problem. It seems the others have had added issues or something totally different. Just wondering if someone might have some insight into what I need to check next.

Thanks for the great forum!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check those out, but I would think bad u-joints would be noticeable in all gears. Thanks for the reply and the idea!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't been able to do any further diagnosis other than checking the u-joints for play. My daughter called me today saying that it felt like it was losing power. She made it to work at 3:00pm EST. I picked it up at 7:30. On the drive home, it ran fine except for the last 1/3 of the 15-mile trip. The last 5 miles I couldn't really get over 40mph. Any faster than that and only the engine would pick up speed.

I know I'll get bashed for this later, but I told her to drive the X with the OD turned off this whole time. If we could have avoided that, I would have. Money is tight and we needed the X on the road.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really hate to turn it over to a shop or stealership.

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just for clarity were you in D when you couldn't get above 40 or were you shifting manually? And as to the general problem it sounds like the transmission is headed out the door. Some extra info could possibly help though... when shifting manually is everything good? I drive with O/D off alot (shifting the X makes me feel better about myself lol) there is nothing wrong with doing that the manual just recommends not to do it at sustained high speed (highway cruising) to prevent transmission wear. The key here is that if it is only happening in D not a manually selected gear than it could be solved with a reflash... maybe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was in D when I couldn't get above 40. Just to get it home, I left it in D, I was worried that manual shifting might add more stress to the problem. I will drive it tomorrow and see if it's particular to a certain gear. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Could be many things. A total transmission failure, bad torque converter, bad shift solenoid...

·
Registered
431 Posts
If its burnt fluid and the revs go up without speed increase the trans has smoked clutches. I just built mine last yr with a level 10 kit and upgraded titan torque convertor that has 3 lockup clutches in the torque convertor instead of our 2. Also installed a Trans Go shift kit. love it all shifts great now

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Pretty rare to smoke our transmission sans SMOD. Might want to have a serious talk about neutral drops. I only mention it because a lot of guys and girls I knew in high school did it. They all ended up needing new transmissions.

·
Registered
431 Posts
In 4th gear youre turning on direct clutch and turning off the front brake band.
High/low/reverse clutch, and input clutche are on in both gears.
Then in 5th, the direct clutch is off, and band is engaged. So if you have shudder in 5th only i would say the band is slipping.
Just keep driving and testing cause youll need a tow truck soon as the more you drive with one clutch slipping, the more the others are trying to take the load. They will be soon to follow on slipping

·
Registered
248 Posts
In 4th gear youre turning on direct clutch and turning off the front brake band.
High/low/reverse clutch, and input clutche are on in both gears.
Then in 5th, the direct clutch is off, and band is engaged. So if you have shudder in 5th only i would say the band is slipping.
Just keep driving and testing cause youll need a tow truck soon as the more you drive with one clutch slipping, the more the others are trying to take the load. They will be soon to follow on slipping
If it was the clutches wouldnt it happen shifting by hand too?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone has made some very valid comments. Should I attempt to drive it some more, shifting manually and troubleshoot it further? Or is the shutter in OD and the slipping in fourth gear enough to say definitely the transmission needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Honestly I would get it into a shop that you trust, an internet diagnosis is not something to go by. Most garages are going to instantly say that the tranny needs replaced, they want the money. But, if you get it to a mechanic who you know and trust the chances of them admitting if it is something small is much greater.

Oh and btw the not being able to go over 40 might be a 'limp home' mode that engages when something is wrong. Im not sure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would "limp mode" allow the engine to rev higher than it takes to get to 40mph? I don't know specifically how high it went, but I know it to seem like I was parked and just revving the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, the transmission is slipping. My apologies for not clarifying. I'm going to see a mechanic today and get a quote on having it rebuilt or replaced. I'd it myself, but I still have to work and cannot dedicate enough time to get the job done quickly.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If it was the clutches wouldnt it happen shifting by hand too?
Posted via Mobile Device
depends on what clutches, when you manually are shifting there are differant clutches, applied than when it shifts in auto. thats why i listed what is engaged in auto and manual for that gear. But the overall issue is the trans is slipping and it needs a rebuild. limp home will not make it slip. only smoked clutches, leaking seals, poor line pressure, solenoides etc. but at the point its slipping youre done. you go in, you go all the way and get a rebuild kit which includes more than youll need on building the trans. and as long as there is nothing related to a fault with solenoid/tcm, you remove valve body, clean and reinstall and you replace the seals, clutches and band. and on the band adjustment bolt DO NOT loosen it. leave at same factory adjustment as when it was new. It takes not only special tools, but a press, feeler gauges and inch pound/ft pound torque wrench and I use a trans bench holder. youll also need the ATSG builder guide, forget the factory manual (FSM) it totally sucks on the trans build portion. Every other part of the FSM is fine. basically its not for the faint of mechanical heart. oh yeah the transgo shift kit is a awesone improvement!!! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts