Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Well I read Jim's website about the Weight Loss and Safety Advantages of Amsteel Rope & Aluminum Fairlead
vs Wire Rope and Roller Fairlead. Ahhhh the bonus was an improved approach angle, So why not?

1st, the Numbers.

Can you believe it? Weighed with Postal Digital Scale used in my wife's eBay Shipping Dept. Te hee.
1st what came off, The Roller Fairlead & Wire Cable This was so heavy!

People, this is not an Illusion! You do the Math!

I could hardly believe it!
It was worth it to do it just for the weight loss!
And no fad foods, pills, starvation or any of that!
Off with this Ugly Rusty Doughnut Fed Fat Food Blister of a Fairlead! And this Wire Rope only looks
skinny, so does lead pipe!

Ok how I done my Winch Rope.
1st I decide I want my Rope at the Drum protected from heat, a Aux Line Friction Protector or two and some Indexing to show amount of line to go. So I went to a Climbing Supply Shop and for 20 Cents a Foot. I bought some Hollow Web, same stuff they charge you $15 for at some Winch Line Vendors. Available in many Colors, I used Green that came with Winch Line to protect Line at Drum, Black for Center and Red at Hook End to look cool. These Web Tubes slide on Rope to protect it on a pull. Rocks, Tree Trunk, Ground, whatever.
Pictured below, I cut my Rope to length.

After you cut Rope with very sharp Scissors, you need to melt the Nylon to keep it from Fraying. I insert an old 3/8 Socket Extension to keep Tube open and use a Torch to melt the edge, let cool before touching or the hot Nylon will stick to your Skin and make you hop around like a fool.

OK now you take Rope off Winch. This is a MM PE 8000 Budget Winch.
This Allen Screw hold Rope to Drum to start it.

In below picture you see the Colored Webs on the Line and how I got it there, with an old CB Antenna as a Needle to thread it. Web Tubes only pulls onto Rope, it bunches when you push it so realize that.

Once I got all my Web threaded onto my Rope, I ran the Red to the Hook End, the Black to mark my Center and act as an extra Friction Guard, and then the Green I left at the Winch End for additional Friction Guard and to keep the Heat from power out off the Rope and to let me know when I am getting to End of the Rope at the Winch.

This is a dumb picture, but someone will install their Rope and forget to put the Fairlead on. Thread it through now especially if your Hook is threaded on the Rope at that end, (this is a reminder). :D

I also added some Yellow Tape at 25 ft Intervals so I can tell how much Rope I have out and what I capacity of pull I have. My Black Web shows me Center and my Green one shows me I am about to run out and when I see 5 feet of the Green Web, I am at the end of the Line as the last 5 feet has to remain on drum so it grips the Drum, that eyelet at the end is just to get it started on Drum, not to Winch with.

Here it is installed, I opted to do some painting, relocated the Plate to just above the SHROCKWORKS
Aluminum Fairlead with the use of existing holes and a License Plate Backing Plate. Rough done,

And Hey, might as well paint the Grille like you been meaning to! What a nice MOD this was for the price!
The Approach Angle is better by about 3 inches, (Forgot to measure), Look at how far it sticks out!

And the looks, what a difference!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

OK people, The Amsteel Rope is way worth it, and so is the Aluminum Fairlead.
Make your plans, don't waste your money on the heavy stuff. I wish Had not of, but.... If it comes with Wire,
Ok, this is certainly on your upgrade list!

MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think I'll have to pick up one of the Shrockworks fairleads. He didn't have them when I bought mine. ;)

I would never use steel cable again. Weight is great, safety is an even better reason.

I'll be changing out the line in the Jeep this spring (the winch doesn't work, so it hasn't been a high priority). :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think that is just the stock hook. It uses a pin...much like this.

I could be wrong though.

If you have an interlock hook, you can splice the line through the hook. I'll be doing that soon so I can get rid of my connecting link.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I just ordered the fairlead (in black) and the synth rope last night.

So, on the website they show blue rope... what's being shipped now? Still the OD green or is there an option?

·
on line
2,573 Posts
There is kind of an option

When I placed my order he said that when he sends the order in that they have been sending OD Green out most of the time. He did ask if I wanted a different color but I doesn't make a diff to me what color it is.

I like that the front end of the X is getting some weight off it and a little safer when pulling.

Diff cover is looking at another week before shipping.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
It can't be a Mall crawler if I don't drive it.

She is still a young'n at 20,000 miles

I Do by the way have ECXC off from work. Had to pull some strings and pass up some cool work but I would rather hang out with you guys and gals on the trail.

Plus I could finally get Keith off my back about calling my X a Mall Crawler. DANG YOU!

For some Odd reason I am very slow with work right now. Slow for me is a 40hr week. I'm used to working 80 to 100hrs a week, So this is like a vacation for me right now. ( Plus I'm not freezing like keith is right now in NJ. Tampa is nice this time of year)

Talk to ya later Keith

DaveP

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
XterraVT said:
Stupid question maybeHow did you get the hook on the winch rope?On the scale it's not on and I thought that the hooks needed to be spliced in.thanks
No question is stupid unless you know the answer.

The guy who posted the pictures below your post is right. And although some do install the hooks on the eye, you should steer clear of that. Go with they eye only and add the hooks as shown. I think some people go with a woven in hook so it don't get stolen, but they get a cut rope and a stolen hook.

I use the pictured type hook and I use a strong key ring in place of the cotter pin to retain the pin, and when winching you take a dog leash and hook the handle end to something and the clip end to the key ring. If something lets loose, this method will slow things down quite a bit at least it will slow the hook from a full force assault.

MC

·
on line
496 Posts
Looks like Shrock will get some money for a fairlead sometime in the future. The crap the Germans use on the roads in winter is causing a lot of corrosion on my plain alum. one.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
A short bit on the synthetic rope sold by Shrockworks.

Found at offroaders.com.

There's a few typos, but I didn't author it.

Amsteel Blue Winch Rope
- The unparalleled benefits of synthetic winch lines has made AmSteel the number one choice for competition rock crawlers and off-roaders around the world. Made from the revolutionary AmSteel®-Blue 12 strand UHMWPF (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene fiber). These ropes yield the maximum in strength to weight ratio and while being stronger than steel cables and much more buoyant. Amsteel Blue synthetic fiber rope has a higher breaking strength than that of steel cable of the same diameter, but weighs less than 1/6. It won't get all wound-up like cable when unspooled. It can't develop sharp frays, and it doesn't conduct electricity or heat (won't freeze your hands in winter). It won't rust, doesn't kink, doesn't recoil, doesn't stretch, and unlike steel cables, synthetic lines store zero energy under stress and in the event of breakage; they do not exert the dangerous and violent whiplash action that a snapped steel. Ropes come with a thimble loop on one end and a chain link for the spool end and feature a 10' abrasion guard that roll directly onto spool with no tangles or mess. The guard is flexible and compact enough to wind in with the rope. Comes right back out when you unspool. Move the guard along the length of the rope to guard against rock outcrops, etc. when winching. AmSteel Blue is the latest development of HMPE fiber in a twelve-strand braided rope utilizing Parallay design with proprietary blue urethane coating. The 5/16" ropes are test rated for a minimum of 12,330 lbs and contain UV Protection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts