Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'll post this here. Not much response on XOC. I think most of the 05+ owners moved here.
Here is a copy of the post from the other forum:

I finally put the Shrock bumper on, after some wait for it being made. For some reason the allignment is not precise. Driver side seems to stick out horizontally more than passenger by 3/4in. But, thats another post.

Even though I researched and got some answers from here about the dip that this bumper puts on, and the driving quality, the answers are the opposite to what I am experiencing. The front end went down significantly. I would say 1 - 1.5in. Not sure exactly. I have to measure another X. The back end raised the tail, like a b*tch in heat. The drive quality is a bit crappy, I'd say. Totally different than what I had, and what I had on my previous X with a similar bumper. My previus X, 02 was XE with stock suspention and it did not dip this much. This is an 05 OffRoad. I would think that the OffRoad suspension on this truck would be able to handle this bumper better. The breaking is just terrible. It plows the street and really pulls forward.

Does any one have any suggestions? Am I looking at a lift now? Would a simple Body Lift resolve this, instead of Suspension Lift? Or, would a leveling kit work? I found one for $99 on ebay, made by TopGunzCustoms.
This is all in terms of drive quality. I will not be taking this off road much. I have not time for that. The armor is for safety reasons. I spend most of my time on streets and highway.

The link for the leveling kit is below.

Or maybe other suggestions from anyone?
Any help is greatlly appreciated.
Have a great week.

Leveling Kit Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=230183148470&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

·
on line
105 Posts
Bummer.

I've had a Shrock front bumper on my otherwise stock 2005 S since March of this year. I have not experienced any of the problems you describe.

The front is maybe 1/2" lower (at most). I have not experienced any noticible differences in driving or braking dynamics with the bumper installed. My gas mileage did not change either.

regards,

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P.S. I did go over the suspension thread here.
I am interested in life experiences though.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i have an S and my front dropped about an inch after installation. When braking, the front end would dive pretty bad. I installed that exact spacer this past weekend and now my front is only .5" higher than the rear. It handles totally different now. I figured that it would still dive upon braking, but for some reason it doesn't...

·
on line
111 Posts
I expected poor handling with the bumper, so actually planned and did a suspension lift first. The bumper still sagged the front end 3/4", but I have the adjustable radflo coilovers, so I just cranked it back to where I wanted it. Seems to handle fine though with the suspension setup I have. My bumper is also slightly misaligned, needs to go 1/4" to the passenger side to be even - I beat on it as much as I could to get it that close.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Check out the Timbren bump stops for the front. (also on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=160111206861&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006)

Though a bit more expnsive than the spacers, these would help with the dive on brakeing as well as the 1~1.5" dip you see.
I don't have them, and I don't have a shrock front bumper... but MC does and he seams to swear by them: http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=452

I considered putthing them in the rear because of the contact I was getting... until I lifted it. I may still down the road.

·
on line
704 Posts
There were several posts here on the subject of the bumper + suspension. If I recall correctly, most of the owners faced the same issues and suspension mods were the answer. Sorry :(

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great response guys.
I did read the thread with the Shrock and TopGunz spacers. Seems reasonable and cheap.
It seems though there is a mixed result on the way the truck handles/looks/drives from different people, when it comes to keeping the X stock and putting the bumper on. Some people have no significant difference with the S model, and some have it with OffRoad, like me.

I will check out the Timbren stops. Thank you jollyman78. This seems like a good option. I just need to compare it to TopGunz.

Deltaphi216, is the space that you're referring to the spacers from TopGunzCustoms for $99?

I am leaning towards this setup at this time. Inexpensive and easy to install, I assume.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
TRIPIIIEX said:
I will check out the Timbren stops. Thank you jollyman78. This seems like a good option. I just need to compare it to TopGunz.
These are two different solutions that will give you two different results... The bump stops will give you a "squishy-stiffer" front end. The spacers will only raise it.
My lift (Daystar) does spacers in the front as well. I don't notices any difference in stiffness in the front; but again, I don't have a bumper so we're really apples and oranges :cheese:

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks jollyman78. I see what you meen. I thought that those were used for spacing. In this case, spacers are what I am looking for. The ride is stiff enough at this time. It compressed the suspension quite bit. Thank you for the tip though. I basically went from a very well handling sport/baby race truck to a snow plow truck :) I appreciate the feedback.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
TRIPIIIEX said:
Thanks for the great response guys.

Deltaphi216, is the space that you're referring to the spacers from TopGunzCustoms for $99?

I am leaning towards this setup at this time. Inexpensive and easy to install, I assume.
That is correct. I am a COMPLETE nOOb at anything auto related and was able to do it by myself on a saturday afternoon. The how-to's on here are fan-freakin-tastic!

·
on line
1,792 Posts
When I put the Shrock bumper with a Warn 9000 winch on the front of my '05 OR it really affected my handling badly, on and off road. The stock Bilsteins are no match for the added weight, especially if you typically run under load, with passengers and gear. And if you're Shrocked, there's a good chance you wheel and camp, hit hard bumps and unexpected whoops, etc.

Bump stops and spacers might help, but the solution is a stronger suspension.

·
on line
236 Posts
I know what your talking about. I installed my bumper with a 100lb winch. The front end did drop over an inch. I didn't really pay attention to the a$$ end though since I installed a Shrock Rear bumper at the same time.

You need heavy coilovers especially if you have a winch. I'm running 750lb springs on Radflows from PRG. They are a little stiff and hard to stuff, but I can run with no sway bars on the street and can still panic stop or other abrupt manuvers (tested it out in an empty parking lot).

I think the next lower spring is a 500lb spring. And don't quote me but I was under the impression the stock OR coilovers were 250lb or 300lb springs.

Greg will even toss in new bump stops too if he knows you plan on ditching the sway bar (cheap $10 ones, but hey they are free).

That was the only way to get the sag out and still have a nice ride. I ended up with almost 4" lift in the front. 1" back from sag the bumper caused and 3" lift over stock. The rear end is up to you. Check my sig for my total setup.

I would suggest calling Greg at PRG. You don't have to buy from him, but he is a great guy with a world of info on our trucks. He will guide you in a good direction even if it isn't to his products. I bounced several suspension and lift idea off of him before I decided on mine. And the price is pretty good for custom setups compared to AC.

My lift with UACs was about $1,700. Front and Rear, and the UACs are about $700 of that. The coilovers aren't a cheap lift option. But overall I personally like it better that coil spacers and body lifts (Pesnki61 on XOC or ClubFrontier.org runs that setup, and we wheel together all the time).

But than again we run in the rocky desert in canyons and over boulders alot so it depends on where you want to wheel too. So far I can out flex Penski61 on almost everything we have ran together. But than again.... He is in a Fronty.

PM me if you want any extra info on my adventures of the bumper and lift setups and install.

-MadManX

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MadManX, thank you for the write up. I might contact Greg at PRG for suggestions. A suspension is definatelly in my head, just not at this particular moment. I just purchased a place, and guess where all of the $$$ is going? Yep, the furnishings :geek:
Thank you for offering your help. I will definatelly hit you up, once I make the final decision.

d-rap, I am looking for a short time solution, so that when the "Better Half" decides her sports ride does not cut it in the winter time, she can safely take the X. Unless I can pursuade her that the suspension is more important than the living room set, I think short term it will be. :angryfire:

Deltaphi216, thanks for the answer. I will look into this as a short term solution. How would you say that your ride changed from doing this to what it was without the spacers? Are you pleased with this setup? How's the handling?

I am pretty active over the year, other than winter. Do not have time to wheel anymore, or even get more involved in the lifestyle. I got hit in the head with "life". I guess now, until I have kids and kick them out the door when they're 18, my "better half" will have a word in it. Whipped??? Yes I am! For now at least :bom: Than again, if she came back home with a $2000-$5000 fur coat, I would get pretty pissed too.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
TRIPIIIEX said:
Unless I can pursuade her that the suspension is more important than the living room set, I think short term it will be.
Than again, if she came back home with a $2000-$5000 fur coat, I would get pretty pissed too.
OK, I hear that. And of course I don't know the specifics. But if it's about winter driving and kids and safety, a bomb suspension is about the entire family. I'm serious.

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
d-rap, you know, you just hit the nail on the head. I'm not exactly rich, but the swiss account can be emptied :) for the suspension.

This question is for anyone that wants to pich in:
In the case that I decide to go with the suspention, I will assume that this will void my warranty.
I got 100,000 mile / 7 year warranty on my X.
I'm at 43K now. I understand that safety is first, and I am not going to even question that. That is the main reason I got the Shrock. My TJM on the 02 X saved our lives twice. But, it would really suck to have the warranty voided.

I will assume that most people started modding after the warranty expired.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
TRIPIIIEX said:
In the case that I decide to go with the suspention, I will assume that this will void my warranty.
Dealers sometimes claim that any mods void your warranty, but that's not the case, legally. The burden of proof is on them to show that the mod caused, or could likely have caused the damage (for example a tall lift that puts extra stress on a CV joint).

My dealer fixed several warranty items on my truck after my mods. I think there's a sticky or a thread here with the letter of the law on this.

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. This would make the world of difference. I have a pretty good relationship with my dealers service manager, but we how they can be when it comes to their budget. I'll try to polish myself up on the law and lifts. Than will decide. Thanks a lot d-rap. You've been very helpful on this. I appreciate that greatlly. I'd get you some Jack Daniels but unfortunatelly my monitor wont let me squeez it in the thread. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts