Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that shrockworks offers 1 or 2 bar set-ups on their sliders. I'm sure that one bar would offer plenty of strength for anything I would do...but wondering what the advantage of the second bar is. Does it make using the sliders to get in/out of the front or rear doors easier than the 1 bar set-up?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well i have the one bars (thats all that was offered at the time). The only thing that the two bars offer is more rigidity. they dont stick out any furthur or anything like that. Basically you wouldnt be able to tell the difference unless you looked really closely.

·
on line
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Part of my problem is that I haven't seen the sliders in person either...

Looking at the pics, it wasn't clear whether or not the extra bar would provide better footing when standing on the sliders accessing the roof rack, etc. It's hard to tell from the pics if you actually stand on the bars or not.

I hadn't considered the bars getting hung-up...that's another interesting angle.

I'm not so concenred wiht the rigidity (never had a problem with it...*grin*) so if there's no "footing" advantage, I'll go with the single bar.

If anyone thinks there's an advantage to two....let me know.

Thanks

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The only real advantage would be for side impacts. I don't know this for sure, but the two supports would better reinforce the outter tube when it is hit from the side.

That being said, I personally think the 2 supports is more for looks. I have seen sliders with 1 support beat to death and only once have I seen the outer tube bend and even then, the 2nd support probably wouldn't have helped.

BTW, I am moving this to the Shrockworks forum.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
You don't stand on those bars - you stand on the pipe that runs the length.

The older two bar ones are strong enough to rest the entire weight of the truck on the slider without problem.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: When I got my sliders, Mr. Shrake didn't offer the extra bar--

--I've used the sliders in both front and back, for tire repairs/swaps and checking the inclinometer !!!

--There has been NO, measureable flex in the sliders, no matter where I've placed the Hi-lift , BUT

--For a few dollars more (wasn't that an Eastwood movie )???, I would get that extra support (bar), because we don't know how long the welds and rigitity, of the single bar, will support the weight of the X-AS WELL ENGINEERED AS THEY ARE !!

--He ,(Mr. Shrake), probably shouldn't even offer the single bar sliders any more--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
120 Posts
My thought is that with the one bar slider if I ever got in a side-impact the slider would have more room to give. Would rather bend my sliders than bend my frame. On that note, I think those that weld on their sliders are making a big mistake....

·
on line
1,054 Posts
i have the two bar setup, i think it looks better but as someone previously stated, it adds extra rigity, i say the 25 was well worth the cost.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
i didnt want to spend an extra 25 dollars. i just knew i could do something else with it. mag light mounts, a flash light, a lobo shelf, something.....

·
on line
197 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
i didnt want to spend an extra 25 dollars. i just knew i could do something else with it. mag light mounts, a flash light, a lobo shelf, something.....
A half tank of gas...
:dontknow:

·
on line
3,272 Posts
lol. see! back when i got them i could stretch that into almost a full tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts