Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please take some upclose pictures of your Shrockworks sliders? My father in law has a welding company, so i'm going to see if he can fabricate some sliders, i wanted to try to use the shrockworks as a template and work from there. any help would be great.

·
on line
107 Posts
You don't need pics...just look at the frame under the rockers...find good spots to get three mounts in with crush plates to box the box frame, etc...make a camfered bar with 1/4" thick walls, weld on 3/16" wall DOM tubes coming up from the bar at a slight angle to come up and protect the rockers...then run 3/8" thick mount brackets back to those spots on the frame you selected...

Done.

:D

·
on line
1,695 Posts
TJ said:
You don't need pics...just look at the frame under the rockers...find good spots to get three mounts in with crush plates to box the box frame, etc...make a camfered bar with 1/4" thick walls, weld on 3/16" wall DOM tubes coming up from the bar at a slight angle to come up and protect the rockers...then run 3/8" thick mount brackets back to those spots on the frame you selected...

Done.

:D
Wow, talk about heavy and overkill, lol. I did mine out of 3/16" wall sq. tube, 1/4" brackets, and 1/8" wall HREW tube. They've held up great to abuse so far!

·
on line
1,884 Posts
OK So I am normally the smartass on this site, but this time I'm shooting straight.

Let me get this right. You want to copy/duplicate someone else's design that they spent tons of time/energy/money to develope. I don't know but it just sounds wrong to me. And if Jim has TMs on his work then it is most likely illegal.

Build your own: Fine. Do it copying someone else's design not so fine.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Let me get this right. You want to copy/duplicate someone else's design that they spent tons of time/energy/money to develope. I don't know but it just sounds wrong to me. And if Jim has TMs on his work then it is most likely illegal.

x2

·
on line
641 Posts
RogueClimber said:
Yep. That's why I didn't supply any photos or measurements of my Shrock sliders.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont believe you can trademark welded pieces of metal? i could be wrong here of course. i'd be using the shrock as a template, not a copy. if other people didnt make "copies" of other products, there wouldnt be competition and business. so heres a slight example, Incandescent light bulbs, pretty much identical right? i'm not talking about breaking into shrocks shop and stealing the plans. come on, lighten up.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
DanielD said:
i dont believe you can trademark welded pieces of metal? i could be wrong here of course. i'd be using the shrock as a template, not a copy. if other people didnt make "copies" of other products, there wouldnt be competition and business. so heres a slight example, Incandescent light bulbs, pretty much identical right? i'm not talking about breaking into shrocks shop and stealing the plans. come on, lighten up.
You can trademark and/or patent anything thet you can provide the origonal information on. I have over ten million dollars of welded metal in my shop that is trademarked and patented. These people are not trying to be an ass to you, they just appreciate the work and skill that Jim has put into his products. If you want ideas about his product there are hundreds of other pics on this web site, just look at them. I'm with everyone else, I wont participate in the copying of Jim's products.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
DanielD said:
Incandescent light bulbs, pretty much identical right? i'm not talking about breaking into shrocks shop and stealing the plans. come on, lighten up.
From The History of the Incandescent Lightbulb

Edison evolved his designs for the lightbulb based on the 1875 patent he purchased from inventors, Henry Woodward and Matthew Evans.

So even Edison bought the rights to the incandecent bulb.

And no you are not breaking into Jim's shop to get the plans. You are asking us to do it for you.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as i have said in my previous post, I AM NOT COPYING HIS PRODUCT, i was using it as a template. its amazing how everyone jumps on your ass when you want to build a like product of super shrockworks. i'm sure his product is great, everyone raves about it, i dont want to copy it, i just wanted to know how long and wide i should make mine. I've never seen any sliders up close, so i wouldnt even know where to begin, i wanted to idea of what to make.

·
on line
616 Posts
You can copy it if you want whether its patented or not. If it is patented, it's the realizing financial gain from the act of copying or selling that will get you into trouble.

Copyrighting is another issue entirely. It usually doesn't allow duplication of any type. But it generally only applies to the written documents, software code and other recorded media.

Jim's sliders are not patented or they would bear the inscription. In fact it is likely that they are not patentable as a whole, but there may be aspects of them that can be patented. There may even be a patent holder that could claim that Jim's design infringes on their patent. There is so much prior art (un-patented examples of similar work) out there on something like a slider that it is likely not patentable. Who knows.

I, for one, have no issues copying a patented device for my own use; however, I would never attempt to sell something that I copied, patent or not.

Does you head hurt yet?

-Old Army

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Golly, guys, give it up. The guy just wants to build a set of sliders. So what if he wants some pictures and dimensions!?! It's not like there isn't plenty of hard work to do beyond getting a rough set of plans drawn up. I really don't see a problem with it so long as he isn't selling them.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I'll give you the not selling them for gain. But now my normal smartass side says: Do a search. Hell I think I even posted Jim's instal directions many moons ago...

Good Luck on your build

·
on line
612 Posts
I agree that it's not illegal or even wrong to copy for personal use. It is that whole selling for profit thing that kinda pushes it over the edge of legality. If I had the ability I'd make em myself too. Good luck!

·
on line
13,466 Posts
I just thing people are up jim's ass too much. He has a good product. Someone doesnt have the cash to spend on it but wants to build their own. So what. Are you guys going to give USMC shit for copying a gas can holder he saw online and buiilt himself? Poor gas can holder company! See my point? Jim is a good guy, his stuff is good. Can you build it yourself? Why not? Its not like this dude is going to set up shop and call it Someotherguyworks Offroading Equipment.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts