Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so just so were clear on whats been done so far. well i already purchased and installed the PRG 2" leveling kit (spacers in the front and AAL in the rear w/ shims) no problems with vibration driving or handling. the vehicle is level and has only 30,000 miles on it. i do not do any offroading. im currently deployed and the internet is crap out here so searching the site is more than just a pain. i have a 2010 nissan xterra x model stock suspension set-up no problems yet; it rides just like its suppose to. okay, so i just now purchased the shrockworks rear bumper w/tire carrier which i know weighs somewhere around 100lbs im sure it will be more w/ the tire on it due to the change of location, but notsure how much weight will be removed when i take off the stock bumper and hitch. i also purchased the SW skids, the rear cover, and the GOBI roof rack w/ladder, and also the PRG shackles.
My plan is to install the bumper which will probably drop the rear a little but then when i install the shackles im hoping it will level it back out or give me a little bit of the factory rake back; no biggie if it doesnt.
My question is, will my stock non-BILS suspension handle the extra weight or should i look into getting either timbren bumpstops or probably the better choice get some airshocks (i think thats what they are called).
Okay so just to review i will install the rear bumper, GOBI roof rack w/ladder, Shrockworks skids, rear diff cover, and the PRG shackles. i dont off-road at all, but i will load up with my girl and two kids and very seldom tow a trailer w/ a motorcycle.
I know for a fact that the rear suspension sucks and will eventuallyneed to be replaced, but looking for advice and suggestions anything would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
You are at the perfect time to upgrade the rear suspension. Deployment money is all monopoly money anyway ;)

Personally, I would visit www.nissteclifts.com and check out their Old Man Emu rear leaf springs. They are relatively low cost for a full replacement leaf pack and they should work pretty well. You could stay with stock height shackles and these would easily carry the extra weight as well as help whenever you do tow etc. That's my opinion.

·
on line
3,453 Posts
Agreed with Killswitch also too.

I do have the timbren rear bumpstops and I LOVE THEM but I would upgrade the leaf packs if you're going to tow because I tow too and it is somewhat noticeable when towing and I'd like to upgrade the leaf packs but the timbrens do prevent it from sagging so much so its a good investment too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank for the advice and suggestions
right now im looking at getting the firestone airbags but not sure if it will work since ive got a 2" lift on it
anyone know anything about these??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the leafpacks will come later since my xterra only has 30,000 on it but yes you are right about deployment money!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts