Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to get a rear bumper without the spare tire carrier because I don't plan on going to a tire over 33". But I was thinking it would be nice to modify the tire carrier to hold my mountain bikes and/or gas cans and gear basket. That way I still have swing away access to the rear hatch versus using the carriers that use the reciever and block access. Just a thought. I don't even have my Xterra yet, let alone the shrockworks stuff...but the gears have been turning for some time.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Just my opinion.
Picture yourself on a rainy night on the side of the road. Flat. Do I really have to get down on my knees to see why the hand crank won't lower the chain so the tire can drop. When I get it to drop it now has the accumulation of 2 + years of road grime on it from driving around. Time to get the scissor jack out. On my knees again. Scissor jack does not want to sit level on the road surface.

OR
Could have been mounted on a swing away carrier. Shrock sliders. Hi lift. Hi lift extended base. Jack at any point. I am currently using stock tires. but will use two sets of tires.
I'll take door number 2

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point. Those little hand cranks to lower the spare are crap. Last time I used one just added to the frustration of having a flat. I'll lie to myself and say that i'll service that little crank when i service my truck. As far as the Hi-lift: I keep one with me anyway, if I were to do the mod I'd make sure to keep the mount for the jack. I think mounting the hi-lift on the bumper is a pretty good setup. Oh yeah, sliders are a given.

·
on line
641 Posts
bobx said:
I was going to get a rear bumper without the spare tire carrier because I don't plan on going to a tire over 33".
Two reasons to consider the tire carrier with the rear bumper:

1)
If you ever expect to be in a situation where you might want to carry two spare tires. Yes, you can have one "underneath", and one on a roof rack. But it might be easier if you have a tire carrier. "Up north"(e.g. Yukon; NWT; Nunavut; Alaska; etc.) if you are going to be traveling long distances on gravel roads, many people carry two spare tires.

2)
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2011

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I also t think get the tire carrier.

Most bike racks either fold down so you can open the hatch. On mine I just have to pull a pin and down it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts