Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm still furious about this one. I've had a radiator skid painted and ready to install for a few months now and finally had the time to do the install today. What a PITA! I finally have it "installed" but there is a major problem - The holes in the skid that are supposed to let you put a socket through to tighten the bottom sway bar bolts don't give me enough angle to get the damn socket on the bolt! Has anyone else had this problem? Also, why the heck did they cut the holes so narrow that you cant fit the socket though it? You have to push the extension through the hole and attached the socket from the inside. If I can't figure this out tomorrow I'm temped to drop that hunk of metal in the recycling bin.

Argh.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, not really worst day ever. Let me be one with the frustration for a moment though.

RE: Articulating extension. Unable to find mine, need to grab another. But as far as I can tell the angle is such that it wont even let the socket on the bolt. I need to go take a picture. To others who have done this install - did things line up for you OK?

·
on line
1,298 Posts
Mine was a major pain in the ass,easier once the sway bar was removed but still a pain. I do like you said,put the extension in and put the socket on from the inside.
Just takes some time and I use my floor jack to hold it and do final alignment.
I've beat the living crap out of mine wheeling so worth being a pain to install.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got it. Socket on the bolt then tap the extension on with a mallet. The alignment on the holes may be slightly out of spec. They will be widened if I ever take that thing off again.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
yea installing that skid by myself was a royal pain. The first time I did it i installed it without a jack and just manhandled it up there and then managed to not drop it on myself while bolting it into position.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I made sailors blush everytime I tried to take that damn thing on and off.... It is a pain even once you get the hang of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts