Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm buying the shrockworks bumper and wanted to see what people recommended. Should I get the Hella front lamps or the Piaa's? I know both are dope brands but I'm kinda leaning towards the Piaa's cuz they're more expensive and I've used their brand before? I do like saying "Hella" tho cuz I'm from Cali. What to do...what to do... I dunno, can anyone give me some direction?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Get the Hella 500's. They are nice and cheap. You can actually get them from pep-boys for like $65 so you might want to check there before ordering directly from Shrock.

What the 500's look like on a Shrock bumper.

2nd from the left.

·
on line
3,484 Posts

The Hella Black Magics cost more, but they are DOT approved and you can run them with no covers and fire them up and melt the guy in front in front of you. They come with the best wiring harness I have ever seen. Also the switch they give you fits in a blank switch hole with few minutes of trimming. (pictured) Check out my Power to the roof thread. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The 500's are 55w which is legal in most states that I know of. I just run the covers because I like them. I bet the 500's come with the same harness which although was good was just not long enough. I didn't even bother with the stock switch and got one from 4x4mods.com for $10. No trim needed, just pop out the blank and insert the switch.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I also run these. Used them last week when I was night mudding with cornick. They didn't help me get unstuck though.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Muzikman said:
The 500's are 55w which is legal in most states that I know of. I just run the covers because I like them. I bet the 500's come with the same harness which although was good was just not long enough. I didn't even bother with the stock switch and got one from 4x4mods.com for $10. No trim needed, just pop out the blank and insert the switch.
Hows about a picture of the switch. Most I seen that fit had the letters sideways when installed. Does it light up when on?

Yep 55 watt is legal, uncovered is legal below the plane of the factory lights when wired up so that the bright light Pos activates the Aux light relay when turned on. If they can go on alone, not Legal in Ohio, and we know Pa is more strict than Ohio rust buckets right? Plus in Ohio, the light must have DOT stamped into the lens from the factory. Otherwise they can, not that they will, give you a ticket.

The set I bought said it had a new style harness, I didn't use it either since I had one installed already. But it sure was nice! MC

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Similiar to this:

It will light up as long as you ground it. Plus it fits perfectly into the existing switch slots.

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MC

Sounds cool brother. Is installation pretty easy for the switch? I also like the idea of driving with the cover off on the lights. Where did you pick up the Black Magic's Pepboys? So you recommend just getting the grill w/out the lights and purchase/install the lights seperately?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
MidnightX said:
MC

Sounds cool brother. Is installation pretty easy for the switch? I also like the idea of driving with the cover off on the lights. Where did you pick up the Black Magic's Pepboys? So you recommend just getting the grill w/out the lights and purchase/install the lights separately?
Well, the Black Magics are the high end of Hella, The difference is they are a larger light, have better optics and that cool black when off bright when you fire the light look. They offer a clear cover for them, not sure if you can use them with the cover on or not. They are stamped DOT approved. But to copy that MOD you can call Summit Racing and for like $220.00 they will send you a set.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...lights&searchinresults=false&N=+115&y=10&x=21
Also sell all Hella products. You won't see Black Magics in Pep Boys.

On the other hand, you can Get the Hella 500's for like $50.00 and they come with the harness switches and covers. I'm sure they won't reach out as far as Black Magics due to the optics and focus. But they will toss way more light on the subject.

Not sure about the grill question. They are mounted on a shrockworks front bumper. No mod to grille. MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
kokopop said:
Similiar to this:

It will light up as long as you ground it. Plus it fits perfectly into the existing switch slots.
Well that looks cool. got a web link to where they are?

My CF dash kit came with a spare part that goes right where the 4X4 switch is, beside that space I have a useless hole. But on this spare part it has room for 4 switches in place of that useless hole, so, they must make a switch panel for that hole in some models I can order and go switch crazy. I have a lot of electrical things to add yet. Ha haa.
MC

·
on line
315 Posts
The switch kokopop posted is sold by 4x4mods.com. I have 2 and they are awesome quality, they light up when on, and they snap right into the openings by the mirror controls.

·
on line
210 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have two of those switches in white (Driving Lights and Compressor). If anyone is ordering these same switches from 4x4mods.com and would like white ones, please let me know and I'll sell you mine. I want to get red. The compressor switch is brand new (never installed) and the driving light switch has only been in there for a little more than a month (I had a contora switch in there before).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts