Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my front bumper the other day and had really hard time re-mounting the sway bar after installing the skip plate bracket behind the sway bar mounts. Basically the hardware was giving be a problem. I had to use a breaker bar to get the bolts back in. The bolts nor the nuts are stripped, but it was a real PITA.

Did I mess something up?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
No problem on the install, but after a bent it up I had a tough time getting it off. A lot of patience and a little help from a pry bar worked.

Then I straightened it out and it installed just like new.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The secret to bending it back to get it off is a very large crescent wrench. Put it on the part of the bracket sticking out and pull down.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I didn't have a problem either. However, I did have to re-tighten the sway bar mount bolts after a few times of offroading. Since then, it's been real solid.

You should be able to finger tighten (at least start the threads) the bolts. If not, then the holes aren't lined up properly. Try jacking up the X to get the bolt holes to line up.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Just dont put the sway bar back on!!!

.... Problem solved!! :cheers:
Maybe, depending on the set-up in front. If you're running a stock, or near-stock suspension, especially with the added weight of the bumper, you're going to want a front sway bar, at least for now.

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys !!! My front suspension is still stock except for a 2in PRG lift. So I think I'll leave the sway bar on for now. I'll take it apart again and look at it. Something's not right.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I just put mine on this morning. I started the bottom nut with my fingers tna then put a jack on the sway bar near the wheel to apply a bit of pressure to rotate the top of the mounting bracket. Once it got close enough I got the top nut started with my fingers. It's tough without the jack as I tried to cross thread the bolts twice before using the jack. The bolts should go in with your fingers until they meet the bracket and then the wrench is needed to compress teh bushing.

·
on line
1,683 Posts
After my bl install yesterday, went to put my shrock rad skid back on (stock front bumper) cannot budge the sway bar bracket bolts. In or out. Gonna need to get this on a lift so I have a better angle to try. What a pita these bolts are. Never have been easy for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
7,141 Posts
I just busted all my welded nuts off. Just hit em with a chisel and they pop right off. Replaced with grade 8 hardware. problem solved

1 - 13 of 13 Posts