Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I live in "the great white north"(Canada) and there is a border between here and "down south" where the Shrockworks products are manufactured, sometimes there can be 'issues' when shipping things across the border.

To avoid those issues, I ordered my Shrockworks sliders and front bumper through North Shore Off-Road. NSOR took care of bringing my order across the border, and they did the installation at their North Vancouver store.

What the X looked like before:

The front bumper arrived as part of a shipment of two boxes. In the photo the box for the sliders is on the left. One of the sliders is on top of the box with the bumper, which is bolted to the double-length wood pallette:

Inside the box:

The Shrock front bumper weighs 128 pounds. The two Shrock Frame Brackets, Shrock Skid Bracket, and Shrock front skid plate weigh 46 pounds. Total of 174 pounds, without adding a winch.

The factory plastic bumper cover, metal bumper, and front skid plate weigh 43 pounds, so the net weight gain is 131 pounds (not including a winch).

I added a Warn M8000 winch, with steel cable and a roller fairlead. After the install was finished, the ride height of the body at the front had dropped 3/4 of an inch.

After the Front Bumper Removal the factory skid plate was removed:

Then the front metal bumper was removed:

The naked front of the X. The only thing left to remove is the factory tow hook:

With the Frame Brackets and the Skid Bracket installed:

Installing the factory fog lights into the bumper:

A test fit of the bumper:

Making the vertical cuts in the "bumper support", which is really now only used to support the grille:

This photo shows the middle part of the "grille support beam" bent back to make room for the winch, and the Bumper Saver installed on top:

The bumper, including winch and roller fairlead, almost fully installed:

and now fully installed (skid plate helps support the weight of the bumper):

Here's an idea of how much of the plastic inner fender needs to be removed:

The first plan was to mount the winch's solenoid pack using the bracket that Shrockworks supplies. I didn't want it outside, on top of the bumper, so we tried the location inside the bumper. For my winch, that location wouldn't work. The combination of the bracket and mounting holes means that the solenoid pack would be mounted facing sideways, and with it's size, that placed it too close to the radiator. A simple design change to the bumper, to add one more mounting hole, to allow the bracket to be used at 90 degrees to the current arrangement, would have allowed the use of the Shrock bracket to mount my solenoid pack.

NSOR made a bracket, and attached it to two existing factory studs. These studs are used for the Automatic Transmission fluid cooler, but I have a manual transmission. The solenoid pack was mounted to the bracket. The existing 2-gauge winch wiring was run up to the battery area. A ground wire was added between the solenoid pack and the winch body:

So, what's wrong with the above photo?
Well, if you get to this point, and try and install the grille, you can't do it.
There isn't enough room between the bumper saver and the Shrock bumper to allow the flat tabs along the bottom edge of the grille to fit into their slots. The solution is to first attach the bumper saver to the grille, then install the grille. If you are reusing the plastic pins to hold the bumper saver, install them from the top side, which makes them easy to remove later on if you need to remove the grille.

To supply power for the winch, a terminal end, bent to 90 degrees, was soldered to one end of a 2-gauge wire. That wire was attached to the positive battery post. A small bit of trimming of the battery post hardware, and the plastic protective cover, was needed:

The 2-gauge negative wire was attached at the ground point closest to the battery. On the other end of these two wires is a Warn quick connect plug:

The winch cable also has a quick connect plug on it:

I didn't wire the winch directly to the battery because I have jumper cables that also have a quick connect on one end. This setup allows for using the jumper cables when needed. It also allows for connecting the jumper cables to the winch cable, should I ever need to run the winch from a battery other than the one in the X.

What the X looks like after:

Later that same day, at Furry Creek (between Vancouver and Whistler), next to VanX's Xterra:

And finally, a couple of days later, some photos on the same logging road that my X visited on the day it was purchased:

·
on line
237 Posts
Geez - I got some mud on there! :blackeye:

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
miles said:
sweet....hope the install didnt cost much?
My order was the first time NSOR dealt with Shrockworks products, so it was "an experiment". I got a deal :)

·
on line
237 Posts
On an unrelated note....my sliders and rear diff skid are in the mail!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts