Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
According to their included instructions cutting is required to make a winch fit. But according to the how to's on here nobody ever mentions cutting.
Is this necessary?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The thin metal bracket on the core support which the 05-08 grills clip into might require cutting, and if you have an 09+ grill, the bottom of the buck tooth will need to be cut off.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the older grill style (my 2007) no cutting of the grill is needed if I make a bracket for the grill to clip into.
The instructions say there's a metal crossmember that gets cut for a winch. That's the cutting I'm referring to.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
For the older grill style (my 2007) no cutting of the grill is needed if I make a bracket for the grill to clip into.
The instructions say there's a metal crossmember that gets cut for a winch. That's the cutting I'm referring to.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. The mount that the old style grill clips to is what needs to be cut. THIS: (ignore the winch mount I was building, its the black piece of sheet metal in front of the radiatior with the foam pieces stuck to it)

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats exactly what I'm talking about. The mount that the old style grill clips to is what needs to be cut. THIS: (ignore the winch mount I was building, its the black piece of sheet metal in front of the radiatior with the foam pieces stuck to it)

Haha ok let me try again...

The first piece that involves cutting is the piece for the grill to clip into. I'm not cutting that but rather making an aluminum bracket to clip the grill into so I can sell the bumper piece.

The second piece that involves cutting (according to Shrock instructions) is a metal crossmember of some kind in order to allow the winch to fit properly.

I'm referring to the second piece to get cut, for the winch fitment.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I *think* you're referring to the piece that gets cut off for the grill to clip into?

Am I making sense or just retarded?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

High speed cut-off wheel works the best. You will make quick work of it. I used my $10 Harbor Freight one. Set something behind it as you don't want bits of metal rusting all over the place later. Run some rust preventative along the cut when you are done as well (i.e. whatever paint you have available at the time).

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I ended up cutting the whole thing off (cutting it off along the entire horizontal line)because it just got in the way of everything else I was trying to do in there with the bumper.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I removed a section about as big as Mrcole highlighted in the pic above with a pair of tin snips. It's thin metal and easy to cut. I used a grinder to take away the sharp edges and then painted the bare metal with some black Rust-oleum.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
I *think* you're referring to the piece that gets cut off for the grill to clip into?

Am I making sense or just retarded?
That's what I keep saying. I'm talking to a a wall here. Lol... I'm out. You'll get it when you mount it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Good to know.

All ill need as far as cutting goes is to notch holes in the aluminum piece that'll keep me from cutting the plastic lower bumper piece up.

How'd you go about making the aluminum bracket?

Why do you keep talking about an aluminum piece? WTF are you talking about? And, the plastic lower bumper piece? Why would you need to cut that? It all comes off when you mount the shrock. Just trim that thin steel piece I've been talking about since my first post and you are done. You are getting yourself way confused! This is a VERY simple job and you are WAY over thinking things.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
^ in the shrock instructions it says to cut the stock bumper and use it in conjuction with the sheet metal thing to mount the lower part of the grill. in the HOW-TO for the shrock install someone used aluminum instead of the stock bumper.
LINKY

T-REXterra, i did neither. i didnt bother getting the aluminum and didnt cut up my old bumper. just notched the piece everyone is talking about and atatched the grill just with those push pins on the bottem and top.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts