Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at the either the Warn 9.5ti or XD9000i. Do these fit the Shrockworks front bumper? And if they do, and after they are installed, how much of the winch can I still see and touch? How accessible will the spool be? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Draconian

·
Registered
282 Posts
the shrockworks bumper is meant to have the winch "hidden" inside, if i recall the warn winch you want to put in has a built in compressor IMHO it wont fit.

You would need a mid size winch approx 9,500 lb (rugged ridge), with my 2009 i had to trim the front bumper facia to allow access to the clutch mechanism.

Also i made a custom extension from the solenoid, which was hidden within the shrock.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If it's anything like the Hefty bumper, you probably want to get a winch with a separate solenoid and get the clutch lever clocked so you can access it, otherwise it won't fit in the bumper without some cutting.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Both those winches will fit.

They mount feet forward.

The spool its self will be hard to get to, but you'll still be able to see it through the top slot.

The remote port and clutch lever are accessible through a larger "arm" hole on the under side of the bumper. Once you get use to reaching your arm up there finding the remote port and clutch lever becomes easy.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be great! Muzikman. Gladly to take your offer of pictures. I've ordered all the Shrockworks products (still waiting!) except the front bumper because of some residual concerns about the winch compatibility issue. I'm a newbie and want to learn to have hands on experience operating and mastering the winch, and so the ability to reach it easily at all time is important to me.

Draconian
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I'll take some pictures here shortly.

Honestly, the location of the clutch was only an issue once for me and it was a stupid mistake on my part and some very nice guy I did not know was shoulder deep in frozen mud to re-engage it.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
With the XD9000i the remote plug and the clutch lever are in the right hole in the picture.

In the second picture you can not see the lever as it's behind the winch, but you can see the plug for the remote. I have a wireless remote, so it's plugged in all the time.

The third shot is from the side looking through the drivers side front fender. There is a piece of rubber that I had to hold out of the way to take the pic, so the winch is not a exposed at it looks. In that picture you can see the the lever in relation to the plug to get a better idea of where it's at.

Like I said, it's hidden, however, it's still very easy to access, especially once you get use to it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Anyone use a VR warn with shrockworks? After talking with the Warn rep on another site, I'm thinking of going the VR10000 route vs. the XD9000/9000i.

VR

XD

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I would go off of all the winches Shrock actually sells on their site. They only sell those that will fit in their bumpers.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
"ShrockWorks offers a complete selection of the best winches on the market from Ramsey Winch. Patriot 9500 UT, Patriot 8000, Patriot 9500, REP 8.5e, and others. All models are available, so if you dont see the one you want, just give us a call." <---from Shrockworks website.

Recommended Options RAMSEY PATRIOT 8000 WINCH
8000 lb Integrated Solenoid Winch
RAMSEY PATRIOT 9500 UT WINCH
Advanced 9500 lb Integrated Solenoid Winch 9500UT
RAMSEY REP 8.5E WINCH
8500 lb. Non-Integrated Solenoid Winch
RAMSEY REP 9.5E WINCH
9500 lb. Non-Integrated Solenoid Winch

I know they are not Warn, but Shrock recomends the above winches. I've had my Ramsey 9500 UT for as long as I've had my bumper and I love it. But if warn is what you are set on then find similar models to the above Ramsey winches and you should be good. Also, try calling Jim at Shrockworks and I'm sure he would tell you what would fit from the Warn line of products.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have the same setup as Muzikman except I have the wireless remote for the XD9000i. The guys at Shrock exchanged it for me for the solenoid plug since the plug is too short to make it to the bumper on the integrated winches, unless you tell them to drill the hole on the driver side as opposed to the passenger side.

The clutch and plug really are quite simple to get to. The XD9000i is a very nice winch too. I was going to the 9.5ti but some of the reviews weren't so great.

Also, Jim said that all the Warn Winches Shrock carry will fit except for the Powerplant.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Hmmm, they must have changed something. I too have the Wireless remote, but if you want to extend the remote plug to the bumper, atleast on my first run bumper, there are holes on both sides to mount it. I never bothered using it though as I found it just as easy to reach under and plug the remote in. I went wireless a few years ago after just getting sick of plugging and unplugging the remote one day when I had to winch no less than 6 times in about a 3 hour span.

I was also in a situation where I could not open the rear hatch, but my wired remote was in the back in my recovery box. I had to send the girlfriend over the seats to dig it out for it. With the wireless remote, I just keep it in the glovebox. I do however still carry the corded remote just incase.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hmmm, they must have changed something. I too have the Wireless remote, but if you want to extend the remote plug to the bumper, atleast on my first run bumper, there are holes on both sides to mount it. I never bothered using it though as I found it just as easy to reach under and plug the remote in. I went wireless a few years ago after just getting sick of plugging and unplugging the remote one day when I had to winch no less than 6 times in about a 3 hour span.

I was also in a situation where I could not open the rear hatch, but my wired remote was in the back in my recovery box. I had to send the girlfriend over the seats to dig it out for it. With the wireless remote, I just keep it in the glovebox. I do however still carry the corded remote just incase.
Yeah I noticed that on the earlier Shrock that the hole for the plug was on both sides. Regardless, that hole happens to work perfectly for a quick disconnect for OBA.

I too carry the regular remote in one of my recovery bags behind the seats. The wireless one resides in the center console.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts