Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my diff cover today...

I won't embarrass myself by disclosing exactly how long it took me to put it on. Lets just say I had some troubles and I am a bit disappointed. First off it, I could not get it to line up correctly, I had to to resort to the drill to widen the four upper holes in order for it to work, not a big problem. What is a problem is that I am very particular about torque specs, There is no possible way for me to torque the bolts on this cover. There is no room to fit a socket on the bolt heads.

I had to tighten all but one bolt with a wrench. I hope that it does not leak. I'd like to search out socket screws similar to those used on the D44 Rear end, the bolts that came with it are M10 30mm x 1.25, how would I refer to a socket screw of this measurement so I can walk into a store with confidence and ask for what I need?

If I would have had a grinder and not have already painted this, it probably would not be a problem.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well USArmyX, if you really need to torque them, you can probably get HEX/TORX metroc bolts at Pepboys or the like OR, go to www.imperialinc.com

--they have all the metric bolts whatever the load rating, I have a full set of TORX 1/4-3/8-1/2 drive sockets so I can use my torque wrench for all. although I don't--checkitout--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
58 Posts
Howzit, Why don't you give a crows foot at try?

Just be sure to have the open end at 90 degrees from the torque wrench while you are torqueing.
Aloha, nalu's one

·
on line
142 Posts
A crows foot works well. Or if you know anyone with a calibrated elbow, that works well too. Final resort, which works well for non moving parts, goodNtight. Unless you are an experienced mechanic, go with the crows foot and torque wrench.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
USArmyX said:
...M10 30mm x 1.25, how would I refer to a socket screw of this measurement so I can walk into a store with confidence and ask for what I need?
http://www.mcmaster.com/ part number 96144A261 Socket Head Cap Screw.

I use this site to order all of the hardware for work and have never had any problems.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lonesome Crow said:
USArmyX said:
...M10 30mm x 1.25, how would I refer to a socket screw of this measurement so I can walk into a store with confidence and ask for what I need?
http://www.mcmaster.com/ part number 96144A261 Socket Head Cap Screw.

I use this site to order all of the hardware for work and have never had any problems.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for, although it appears I did not break the seal, or I was able to get it on there good enough. I am going to order these and put them on when I change out the fluid in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts