Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my wife was in a 4 car pile up. Cars were going all over the road and couldnt stop. 4 Cars were damaged 2 of them completely totaled. One of the totaled cars was hit with the shrocks. Every person was completely ok thank god. She hit a car that hit someone else at around 50+. Only damage to the X was scratchs on the bumper, grill broke in the bottom, headlight tab broke. Here are the pics of the damage.

This is the best #1 product to buy for personal safety. Great product. Again no one was injured thank god.

This Last picture is of the bumper washed off

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a bit off topic, but how does your truck ride on those tjm springs and the stock bilsteins? (i assume they are tjm's)
I got the springs from greg at prg. Cant remember brand. They ride great. Alittle stiff but i like them i think the stock springs are way to soft. Ive owned 2.5 radflos on my frontier with shrocks and i think the springs are just as good for the price. I think i paid about $60 bucks. Didnt get pictures of other cars. My 1 year old was involved and i showed up at the seen and grabbed her to bring her home. Worried about her to much to grab a pic. It was bad though really bad. I just cant believe how strong this bumper is. No dents on it or bends just scratchs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
you should send shrock a couple of these pics and if something gets written up in your local news so they can post it on their site as a testimonial to their work. Glad to her that everybody is ok, specially your wife and kid

·
on line
1,457 Posts
One additional question did the airbags deploy? Many have wondered how sensors are affected with the addition of these type of bumpers

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Crazy thing is i just installed yesterday
Posted via Mobile Device
Holy crap thats insane! The X would be in WAY worse shape if this crash happened a day earlier! Glad everyone was okay. Make sure you check where the frame horns are welded to the body and the crumple zones on the front of the frame. They may be damaged. Was the winch line severed? I dont see it coming through the fairlead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Airbags didnt deploy. They should have. Not sure why hitting a almost dead stopped car that fast didnt deploy them. I sent a email to them with pics about 2 hours after the wreck so they could see how great the bumper is. The winch isnt fully installed yet thats why the box is taped on the winch. Ran out of time the other day installing the winch and sliders
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Airbags most likely didn't deploy because the Shrock absorbed almost of all of the initial shock. Having that big of a surface area of steel, the energy gets transferred through all of that and the frame horns evenly, which means upon impact energy is immediately diluted and your rate of deceleration is slower. Having the stock bumper in a front end crash the energy penetrates directly through the plastic bumper and one rectangle steel bar leaving the energy moving at a high rate of speed which increases the momentum leading to the airbag sensors to detect that the deceleration will be fast enough where the driver will be thrown forward. Airbags don't deploy based on X amount of speed, so even though the crash happened at 50+ or maybe less depending if she hit the brakes, the Shrock absorbed enough of the energy where the sensors didn't have to deploy because the energy transferred at time of impact was not severe enough.

Good to hear everyone was okay as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe all the energy was absorbed by the vehicle in front of the Xterra. Crash energy is dissipated through bending in the crumple zones withing the vehicle. If the bumper didn't bend, the crash energy went elsewhere, through it or back into what it hit.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
Glad to hear your family and rig are ok! Glad I bought a shrock!

Little off subject but if you want to hide your controller for the winch, I can tell ya how I did it and you can look at my pics :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 28 Posts