Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I struggled to find a mount to fit the 0.70 hole in my Shrockworks CB tab. Too small or too big for NMO, PO, and standard 3/8" stud mounts which need 1/2" or 3/4" mounts. NMO and PO mounts are typical amateur radio (ham) type mounts and I wanted a dual purpose mount which I could use with a CB and or an amateur radio antenna which means a 3/8th inch stud mount. After doing a bunch of searching I found heavy duty bee hive mounts required a 5/8" hole.

5/8" is 0.625 inches and fits in the 0.70" hole better than the 0.5" stud mount. The heavy duty bee hive sits on top of the tab and does a good job of spreading the weight a fiberglass antenna out well. They run $15 to $20 without the required coax wire.

I drilled a small hole to put in a ground wire. SWR rings out at 1.4:1 at channel 20 and 1.6:1 on each end. Being mounted so close to the metal of the back hatch and the tire mount isn't the best location.

Down below I ran a heavy ground strap from one of the screw holes of the license plate down to one of the frame bolts.

The 3/8th inch stud is the standard fiberglass rod mount for CB and amateur radios. I've got a CB, 2M and 11M antennas which will all slip into the stud. 36" antennas will clear the roof of the truck by a bit, go with a 48" antenna if you want better receive and transmit.

In the 2M antenna I can fit a nice 5/8th wave antenna for a bit of gain. It's a bit higher and it's SWR rang out at a pretty good 1.2:1.

I've got NMO mounts up on the roof bar which give a nice clean RF location and the SWR rings out wonderful up there.

CQ, CQ, CQ, DX 11 meters ... if we can only get the solar cycle going again!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S_e_X-Terra said:
DUDE!!! That is exactly the type of write up I was looking for! nice!
You mean I don't have to climb under the truck to document the path of the antenna cable? :cheers:

I ran it along the passenger's side frame rail over the axle and then along the emergency brake line over the exaust shield. I then popped a hole just forward of the jack tool kit to run the remainer of the cable through a gromet and under the rear seat carpet to the glove compartment.

CB sits inside.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I ran mine a cleaner route (at least i think so). I dont have pics but I can get some if you want. i drilled a hole in the underbody (right behind the rear bumper) so that the line can be ran under the secret compartment in the rear of the truck, under all the carpeting and seats, and up through a small hole in the center console. It was a pain in the ass but I think it is perfect. I chose this path because i am going to be running all of my rear wires and air line this way (it just seems the best way to keep all that crap protected).

·
on line
2,573 Posts
I like the way you ran it Eddo.

I went in the Shrock rear bumper Hole and up and behind the Pass tail light. Drilled a hole behind the tail light ( used a rubber gasket to seal for no leaks.) and behind the side panel. It then runs under the carpet next to the Pass seat and over to the center console where it terminates by the Stick shift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts