Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone is very pro Shrockworks, but are they that much better quality than Calamini when it comes to front and rear bumper and sliders? Calamini is a bit cheaper, but they are located in California which is cheaper shipping to Vancouver Canada.

·
on line
631 Posts
hey chris where did you get the "x-rated" sticker on your back window from? i think yours says x-rated... saw it someplace else and been wanting one since!
and question on your rear bumper, what size are the d-ring shackle mounts? 3/4" like most are? and was the installation pretty smooth? also have you experienced any problems with the latch? some friends with 1st gens and shrock rears have problems getting the latch to release... just curious. the only thing i dont like about shrock is that the tire is not centered on the rear bumper, it sits towards the drivers side. one last question, has the powder coating chipped at all? i might just spray it like i did my sliders... sorry for all the questions! :blackeye:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
chrishaynesusa said:
I have a Calmini front and rear. I have no problems currently.
I wanted the Calmini front for the open area to mount a winch.
I wish the rear bumper was more secure when latched. Still has some play.
I did a how to in the shrockworks section on how to tighten up that rear bumper latch, maybe it will work for a Calmini.

As always you get what you pay for. My thought. You also have to calculate the wait, not weight. MC

·
on line
1,792 Posts
No hard opinions, I just love my Shrock stuff, it's tough as nails, and I like tucking my winch up into a bumper, keeps the riff-raff away and it's plenty easy to reach. I like the looks of the Shrock bumpers/sliders too.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Well.............i look at it this way. The calmini bumper has no recovery points, but, could you ask them to add those to the bumper? And if you dont want any of the bull bars that are on the shrock bumper, you just dont order them. You can get it with out. But, if ordering shrock stuff, expect a long wait. I was super pissed over my 15 week wait, it was supposed to only be 9 weeks. However....im glad i bought the shrock stuff, it was worth the money and the wait because its proven its worth several times on the last trip i took. Somepeople were only able to follow me on some trails because i used the front bumper to knock some stuff out of the way with it! Boulders, trees, mud....and the bumper still looks new. I havent seen a calmini bumper up close and personal to say its as beefy or not. Whats the price difference?

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Calmini builds damn tough armor (and everything else). My wife and I survived a head on collision which totaled the X and the other car involved. The bumper was in pretty good shape, even though the truck frame was pretzeled. Sliders are a toss-up; neither one's stronger, Shrocks just have the tube outside which many prefer.

Chris, my rear tire carrier always had a little play, but it's never unlatched, at any time.. If it's of major concern, drill a small hole in latchpin bottom and run a safety pin through..

·
on line
641 Posts
You might want to get pricing through North Shore Off Road. I got my Shrock stuff through them, and they also deal with Calmini. Because they deal with "US suppliers" all the time, they have a warehouse in California, and also in Washington State, and they bring shipments across the border 2-3 times a week, ranging from smaller loads to full containers. My Shrock stuff was shipped to their Washington warehouse, and then they brought it into Canada. Aside from shipping fees, it may also save on brokerage fees to deal with them.

P.S.
It's "calmini", not "calamini" - you have an extra "a", eh ;-)

·
on line
14,613 Posts
DBAX .. the rear bumper has play but I never worry about it opening. Just makes a little noise when hitting bumps etc...However I like the idea of a safety ping on a lanyard.

THe Front bumper and rear show no evidence of chipping.

I hear they now come with recovery points on the front. I bought some afer market recovery points and they will go on shortly. 3/4 " I believe.

Install was smooth. on the front. Rear was a challenge since I was one of the first bumper installs done. Holes... alignment.... that kinda thing.

X-rated sticker came on the other board when some one made another batch. They were posted on e-bay. Advertised on XOC.

Calamini is a Small portion of a Sicilian squid dish I believe.

:laughing6:

·
on line
47 Posts
dpatton, you are wealth of information - re: North Shore 4x4. I get to order some sliders now that we sold the ole pathfinder, but was trying to get around the shipping problems. Think we may have got enought $$ on the sale for tail light guards too :cheese:

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone for the feedback. Price difference is about $150 USD for the front bumper.
Dpatton, thanks for the idea to go thru North Shore Offroad and for the grammar lesson. I tried to get the spelling off of a windshield sticker on a picture of an X.

haven't decided on what way to go yet - Patton, what was your final cost Canadian?

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dpatton, is that your X having the Shrock bumper and sliders installed on the North Shore Off Road site?

·
on line
641 Posts
Bueller44 said:
tPatton, what was your final cost Canadian?
I got 'special promotional pricing', because my Shrockworks stuff was the first time Jim dealt with North Shore Off Road, and the first time NSOR did an install of any Shrockworks products. Lets just say that Jim made some money, NSOR made some money, and I saved some money :)

·
on line
641 Posts
Bueller44 said:
Dpatton, is that your X having the Shrock bumper and sliders installed on the North Shore Off Road site?
Hey - yes, it is! So you notified me before they did ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts