Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those with a shrock rear bumper and a high lift jack, how do you secure it so it doesn't get stolen?

·
on line
6,064 Posts
I'll second keeping it inside under the rear seats. This will keep your hi-lift from rusting, as well as keeping everything in good shape to work smoothly. Last thing you want is a rusty hi-lift that hasn't been used in over a year jacking up a vehicle with crappy internal parts.
It may look cool mounted on the outside, but you'll be glad it still works like the first day you picked it up 5 years down the road.

·
on line
1,928 Posts
Good question!

I hate thieves so I lock down everything! In the winter I usually keep my Hi-lift inside my X in this Jack-guard case:

·
on line
4,198 Posts
I use a heavy cable through my spare tire, through the swingarm, & then up to a big lock through the upper mount in a similar fashion to the pic FaroutX showed. I also have covers over my spare & hi-lift & do periodically take the cover off & spray some lube on the hi-lift mechanism.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I keep mine in the cargo area. I agree with Yellow07s, it is a pain in the ass to open the hatch with the hi-lift mounted. Eventually, I'll have some mounts built for my Xoskel rack, and secure the hi-lift with a cable lock.
I just put my Shrock on the back, and have a hi-lift on order. Why is the bumper a PITA to open with the hi-lift on it? Is it just additional weight, or is there logistics I'm not thinking about?

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I just put my Shrock on the back, and have a hi-lift on order. Why is the bumper a PITA to open with the hi-lift on it? Is it just additional weight, or is there logistics I'm not thinking about?
You have to have the swing-arm positioned exactly in a precise spot for the hatch to open and clear the Hi-Lift, if not, the hatch will hit the Hi-Lift, and not be able to fully open.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You have to have the swing-arm positioned exactly in a precise spot for the hatch to open and clear the Hi-Lift, if not, the hatch will hit the Hi-Lift, and not be able to fully open.
Gotcha - I guess I'm already experiencing some of that, since the bracket that holds the hi-lift sticks out pretty far. I noticed you have to swing the gate pretty wide open to get the hatch to clear.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gotcha - I guess I'm already experiencing some of that, since the bracket that holds the hi-lift sticks out pretty far. I noticed you have to swing the gate pretty wide open to get the hatch to clear.
Aye, I noticed that as well. I think I'm going to hold off on the high lift, and keep it in under the seats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts