Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in need of an oil change, i usually went to the dealership because it was cheap, and close by. Now ive got my shrock bumper on. Do any of you guys go to like valvoline or anything to get your oil changed? Hows it work if you take it somewhere after installing that bumper?

I could easily do it myself, but im not super enthusiastic about making a mess in my garage. I have an apt and garage, but .............Guess im just saying im lazy and would rather pay someone else to do it. Whats the deal?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
it's likely a place like that would try to do it without removing the skid and make a huge mess.....if you specify the skid must be removed they may charge you a little more.....personally i would do it myself to avoid any hassles

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I did the change myself and is really easy with no mess. all you have to do is take a medium-large sized ziplock freezer bag and put it over the oil filter. then unscrew it and let all that black goodness drip into the bag. Not a drip got on my shrock gear!!! I didnt have the engine skid on at the time (dont even know if you have an engine skid) so I dont know how easy and mess-less it is when removing the drain plug.

A word to the wise though, make sure that your truck is cooled down the oil can be pretty hot and almost melt the plastic bag.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Hey mcampana
I'm with you, easy enough to do the oil change but a PITA! So when I take it in I make it easy on the crew and pull my skid: Six bolts no big deal.

·
on line
853 Posts
Why not just take it back to the dealer like you have in the past? I have the Shrock radiator skid designed for use without his bumper, which means it's even harded to get at the oil filter (have to go through that little hole). They deal with it just fine, and clean any mess when done. It's like $25.

Of course, your radiator skid is easier to remove, since you don't have to loosen the sway bar mounts or mess with the tow hook.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
FrankB said:
Why not just take it back to the dealer like you have in the past? I have the Shrock radiator skid designed for use without his bumper, which means it's even harded to get at the oil filter (have to go through that little hole). They deal with it just fine, and clean any mess when done. It's like $25.

Of course, your radiator skid is easier to remove, since you don't have to loosen the sway bar mounts or mess with the tow hook.
Yeah, what Frank said!

If I take it somewhere I absolutely NEVER take it to one of those 10min valvoline/jiffy lube/whatever places... You think they hire idiots at the dealership, you should see those guys; you might be lucky if they even remember to fill it back up with oil!

·
on line
105 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
If I take it somewhere I absolutely NEVER take it to one of those 10min valvoline/jiffy lube/whatever places... You think they hire idiots at the dealership, you should see those guys; you might be lucky if they even remember to fill it back up with oil!
AGREED! I change the oil on the "X" every time, but I have my spouse and daughter take care of oil changes themselves about half the time. In the last year, I've had one shop cross thread the plug on my daughter's Expedition and another not tighten the plug on my wife's G35 coupe. From now on, I'm either doing it myself or sending it to the dealer.

By the way, I don't find the Shrock radiator skid to be a problem at all when changing oil. It is easy to reach in from the side to loosen and remove the filter. I make a dam out of shop towels on one side of the skid and let the oil filter drain onto it. I then catch the oil as it drains out the other side. An oil change in the home garage takes about 20 minutes and half a dozen blue paper shop towels.

regards,

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I use to always go to Valvoline (until I was a victim of racism), then I started to go to Monroe.

Monroe has better techs (at least the one I went to), but I liked Valvoline because I could stand there and watch them.

After I got the shrock front bumper I started doing it myself as I was sure that no matter who I tool it to, I was going to have a mess.

My Intrepid spent it's entire lift getting oil changes at Valvoline. It's got over 130K miles on it and still running strong.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The racism door swings both ways. In the town I grew up in and currently live in, I am a minority. I pull into the Valvoline which is the type of place that you pull up to the garage door and wait for the bay to be available then pull in.

Well, I pull up, no one waiting but both bays are full. As I am waiting three more cars pull up (one behind me and two beside me in the next bay. The bay infront of me opens up, the guy working there tell me to backup and lets the person next to me pull infront and into the garage. I didn't think too much of it at that point, thought maybe...ok it was a friend or a reletive or something. So the bay next to me opens up. The car that was now next to me pulls in. Then the bay infront of me opens up again, the guy comes out and waves the guy behind me around and into the bay.

I park and go in and ask to speak to the manager. No manager there currently. So I leave and write Valvoline a nasty letter. I got a few free oil changes out of it...never used them, never went back.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i have had no problems with the shrock bumper @ the dealership. Both times it has been clean. If they did spill, they cleaned it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts